Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check in between the door for the wires running through. Pop out the rubber boot toward the door and slide inside the door so you can see the wires and check the black ground wire is most likely broken.
I know this is a silly question, but could you describe more what the rubber boot toward the door is. I am having the same problem but am not sure how to get to the wires to check them. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I know this is a silly question, but could you describe more what the rubber boot toward the door is. I am having the same problem but am not sure how to get to the wires to check them. Thanks so much!
In the front and rear door jambs, there are black, corrugated rubber boots which contain the wiring harnesses to the doors. Wires for lights, window switches, speakers, etc, are bundled together inside the boots.

The driver's door has the biggest bundle (because historically it has wires for all four window motors), and that door gets opened and closed the most, so it's the one most likely to incur a damaged wire.

To pull the boot back means to grab the rubber where it meets the body, and squeeze and pull the rubber back to expose the wire bundle. You will then need to unwrap the bundle to expose the wires. Inspect the wires looking for chafing, breaks, or a limp wire (indicating the copper inside is broken).

It helps to have someone holding the boot while you handle the wires.

Then go to the other end of the boot and squeeze and pull it back from the door and inspect the wires on that end, too.

As noted, focus on the black ground wire first.

Be prepared for getting sticky fingers when you unwrap the wires.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
got an 04 for my son a while back and no action with the windows. pulled the boot back on the driver door and there are 5 broken wires including the 2 for the speaker. Going to do the repair this evening. will report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so we went and got some splices and got the whole boot all the way into the door. so we got all the wires splices including a 6th wire which was the yellow. It worked. both front windows and the driver side passenger window works. i'll settle for 3 for now. now to get the odometer to light up but that's a whole different thread.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts