Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new struts put on today and I definitely need an alignment, I googled some and got these "quotes" was wondering if i could get some info and input (i might have to get new sway bar links should i wait to get those on before doing the alignment?)

these are some things i saw while googling just wondering if you guys can "translate" lol

"i take my car to the Firestone store. they have a lifetime alignment program. its approx the cost of two alignments (like $130). if you ever swap out any suspension/steering components, or hit a pothole or something and just want it checked, you just bring it right in."

"I hope you know that firestones alignments are a toe set only"

"they adjusted the camber and caster because the aftermarket k-member has slots where the A-arms connect." -(i'm sure this has nothing to do with a stock impala just asking lol)

i was thinking firestone or midas

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Make sure you get 4 wheel alignment not just the front. The end links go on in 30 or 40 minutes and they are not expensive. I thought that one of the struts was messed up wait until that is fixed then go for it.

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you get 4 wheel alignment not just the front. The end links go on in 30 or 40 minutes and they are not expensive. I thought that one of the struts was messed up wait until that is fixed then go for it.
no, the shocks are fine lol

so i should wait to put the end links on before i get the alignment?

any links or recommendations to find the parts for the 8th gen?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Moog parts should be able to get locally or try rockauto

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy Moog Sway Bar Link Kit K5342 at Advance Auto Parts

Wait until you change that broken strut mount before you have an alignment if its not too far out. You will need another after its fixed, and it should be fixed soon. Its a big safety hazard...
oh ok, didn't think the one broken bolt would matter but i guess i should change it, i deleted the emails and don't have a receipt =/ although i don't think they would cover it anyway under warranty if it was broken because it broken under pressure

Attachments

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Yeah, the strut bolts basically support the weight of the vehicle and when cornering it could allow for movement and snap the other 2 bolts. That would not end well.

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the strut bolts basically support the weight of the vehicle and when cornering it could allow for movement and snap the other 2 bolts. That would not end well.
:gaah: hopefully i can get it replaced in a week then =/ i'd have to order a complete new strut mount or just the screw? :dunno:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
If you could get a new one to fit in I would go that route since it would be cheaper. I forget, are the studs pressed in?

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you could get a new one to fit in I would go that route since it would be cheaper. I forget, are the studs pressed in?
pressed in? :dunno: sorry i'm a newb with auto tech talk :lol:

i'm gonna guess and say you meant if a torq gun was used? yes

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Does the bolt come out or is it held in solid or does it come out if a nut isn't screwed onto the top?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
It looks like its pressed in. If so you could hammer it out with a punch, and hammer in another in place of it. It all depends on weather you have the money for a new mount or want to spend $2 on a new stud and beat it in place. Do you have the old mounts still?

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like its pressed in. If so you could hammer it out with a punch, and hammer in another in place of it. It all depends on weather you have the money for a new mount or want to spend $2 on a new stud and beat it in place. Do you have the old mounts still?
i didn't ask him what he did with the old ones, but i mean 2$ over 30$ but it looks like it would be more work trying to find the stud, etc.... lol

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would imagine you could find a wheel stud in the same size and thread pitch to fit. You would have to remove the broken stud with a punch and a hammer, tap the new stud in a hair with a hammer and an impact gun would pull it the rest of the way in.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Forgot about the spring compressor, but that could be rented from advanced

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are pressed in like a wheel stud. Also have to compress the coil to work on the mount.
yeah, i'm just going to take it back to him since he has all the tools

I would imagine you could find a wheel stud in the same size and thread pitch to fit. You would have to remove the broken stud with a punch and a hammer, tap the new stud in a hair with a hammer and an impact gun would pull it the rest of the way in.
Forgot about the spring compressor, but that could be rented from advanced
yeah, i guess i'll start looking for the stud that would fit and take it back to him, along with the sway links

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
take the broken stud to advanced and they can match it up. Make sure to get grade 8

Reactions: TxImpala89
1 - 20 of 51 Posts