Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know, I am 21. I have been buying booze for months now with no issues. Well, until today.

I walk into a grocery store here and get some Spinach, a Lemon, a case of Corona and a bottle of Pinot Grigio (I'm making pasta tonight).

She's ringing me up and I display my license and she says I can't sell to you.

I said why not?

She said my license was the wrong way. So I told her to get the manager. Well the manager and assistant manager come over and I explain that I am simply trying to purchase alcohol and the girl said I can't.

The license is obviously real and they both look at it and she says:

"It's against Illinois STATE law to sell to anyone who's license is vertical, whether you're 21 or not. It HAS to be horizontal. Sorry..."

I have never heard this, has anyone else? I have never had an issue before. I was so pissed I told them nevermind, left everything on the belt and walked out. I just sent an email to the IL Liquor Commission as well to see what they say.

Went to Walmart and got everything and I showed my ID and the lady shook her head and pressed the "Over 40" button. :clap:

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Yes, I have heard of this in Maryland as well. Most places don't care because they can clearly see you're over 21 by your birthday, but it is technically against the law for them to sell liquor to those with the wrong-way licenses. They could get in trouble for it and possibly (though unlikely) lose their liquor license.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
So as many of you know, I am 21. I have been buying booze for months now with no issues. Well, until today.

I walk into a grocery store here and get some Spinach, a Lemon, a case of Corona and a bottle of Pinot Grigio (I'm making pasta tonight).

She's ringing me up and I display my license and she says I can't sell to you.

I said why not?

She said my license was the wrong way. So I told her to get the manager. Well the manager and assistant manager come over and I explain that I am simply trying to purchase alcohol and the girl said I can't.

The license is obviously real and they both look at it and she says:

"It's against Illinois STATE law to sell to anyone who's license is vertical, whether you're 21 or not. It HAS to be horizontal. Sorry..."

I have never heard this, has anyone else? I have never had an issue before. I was so pissed I told them nevermind, left everything on the belt and walked out. I just sent an email to the IL Liquor Commission as well to see what they say.

Went to Walmart and got everything and I showed my ID and the lady shook her head and pressed the "Over 40" button. :clap:
Sounds like the idiot may have read something on face(lies)book and believed it.
When my son was a baby he was lactose intolerant. I would go to walmart to buy Enfamil. At the time, I'd need 10-15 a week. The large cans. Big $ I was spending. The store manager told me one day he implemented a "store policy" that I couldn't buy more than 1 or 2 a day. Cuz "drug dealers were using them to package and move drugs". They would OPEN the cans, put the drugs in them and CLOSE them again! I said "HOW"??? He wouldn't let me buy my sons food.

Needless to say I found it on Snopes, and emailed it along with my complaint to walmart corporate. Went there the next day and told him about it and told him off. I then bought 15 cans and told him to call the cops if he wanted.

She sounds like an idiot. How STUPID....vertical???? She should stop being WHOREZONTAL for 5 minutes and let her "BRAIN" breath!!!!:bang:

I can't STAND idiots like that. Prove her wrong and GO TO THE MANAGER with it! Don't let it GO! :WTF: :cool:

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Tony, read my post. In many states, you're license expires a couple months after your 21st, and your new license is horizontal, vs the vertical under-21 license. During this 3-month period, you're in a sort of limbo. The stores are technically not allowed to sell to you, even though you've turned 21. Most places just let it slide, because it's stupid, but it is the law...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yep same with Arizona. You can't buy alcohol if your license is the old vertical style. This is a very new law. Working at a bank, I handle close to 100 ID's a day. Ive seen some issued over 20 years ago. It's funny seeing pictures of people when they were 20 years younger. In AZ, your license doesn't expire until you're 65. I'm 21, so my id doesn't expire until June 2058. They are also very lenient when it comes to getting your picture updated.
And walmart never IDs me. The low level associates don't really care lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Tony, read my post. In many states, you're license expires a couple months after your 21st, and your new license is horizontal, vs the vertical under-21 license. During this 3-month period, you're in a sort of limbo. The stores are technically not allowed to sell to you, even though you've turned 21. Most places just let it slide, because it's stupid, but it is the law...

Jeff we cross posted......

I still think it's the STUUUUPIDIST thing I ever heard of!

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
I agree that it's stupid. Whoever decided that should be the law is an idiot..

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Same thing here in PA... A "vertical" license is considered an 'under 21' license. I suspect they don't allow them to be used for alcohol to avoid "fraud" (people trying to change the birthday on their license)... Sucks, but it sounds like most people don't really follow the rule anyway, so not that big of a deal (only a potential issue for a few months of your life)...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My license doesn't expire until 2020, Wisconsin started a new program for their licenses to reduce cost. We got a new (thinner) card, new design and longer duration on the youngins. You can clearly see on the license I am 21 and that my license doesn't expire for 6 years.

In regards to the potential of a fake, nobody is stupid enough to make a vertical fake. Not sure why anyone would logically assume that it was anyhow since that would get it scrutinized more than a horizontal fake.

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Different in every state. In MD, you get your provisional license (vertical) and when that gets upgraded to full, they just send you a little piece of paper you're supposed to keep with your license and provide to an officer. So 5 years from when you get your license (if you get it at 16, that's 21. If you get it later, then...later), it expires. When it expires, they give you a new, full license (horizontal) with no age "restriction" markings.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, I guess my point is that the license is well in the legal bounds of legitimacy and they still gave me trouble over it. They should have seen "WI....Is 21....Exp 2020" and said OK.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said I'd been buying for months, but I never said quantity.

So I was googling it and cannot come up with anywhere in the law it states this. Nor can I find a mandate to change your license when you turn 21. I DID find, however, that someone had the same problem at U of I and they found it was store policy, but the store said it was state law.

Go figure...I'll be taking all of my business elsewhere. I'm not going to drive 8 hours home and back to change my license nor waste the $ to renew when I just did 2 years ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Never heard of a verticle license before. In MN they print "under 21" over your picture in yellow letters, surround your picture with a red box and your drivers license expires on you 21st B-day. All licenses are horizontal.

It would be nice to only have to renew them every 8 years instead of four though.

Sucks to be carded though as I don't think I have been asked to show my ID for about 30 years. :icon_eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I also never knew about verticle licenses. Not sure if we have those in MI or if it just indicates under 21.
Lol @ Pinot Grigio......did they at least let you buy the fancy little crackers and brie in your basket?

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I just give Matt a hard time when I can...

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Who doesn't? :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts