Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Impala LT V6 non ethanol
Hi all so I noticed on our 2016 Impala after it reached 100k miles the airbag light randomly comes on and says something along the line of “Service Airbag.” From what I know these modern cars have like 8 airbags. Another tragic thing to note, is I passed a low pressure water hose over the engine for the 20 seconds 😞 I’m hoping I didn’t do something bad to the computer? I seriously wasn’t thinking straight when I did that, I’ve heard mechanics on Youtube etc. say constantly to never wash the engine. Anyways, I was hoping 🤞 it’s normal when it reaches 100k miles but yeah I’ll leave it up to you guys to help me decide on what to diagnose or check etc. or to take it to a shop or something. Thanks for the help in advance
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
2016 Impala LT V6 non ethanol
Hi all so I noticed on our 2016 Impala after it reached 100k miles the airbag light randomly comes on and says something along the line of “Service Airbag.” From what I know these modern cars have like 8 airbags. Another tragic thing to note, is I passed a low pressure water hose over the engine for the 20 seconds 😞 I’m hoping I didn’t do something bad to the computer? I seriously wasn’t thinking straight when I did that, I’ve heard mechanics on Youtube etc. say constantly to never wash the engine. Anyways, I was hoping 🤞 it’s normal when it reaches 100k miles but yeah I’ll leave it up to you guys to help me decide on what to diagnose or check etc. or to take it to a shop or something. Thanks for the help in advance
View attachment 165600

You will have to have the vehicle scanned for any stored airbag code(s). Many aftermarket scanners do not have the capability to retrieve the codes.

The repair may be as simple as repairing a chaffed wire under one of the front seats, or recalibration of the RF seat passenger presence system sensor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I first bought my car, It would do the same thing. It would happen mainly when I go over speed bumps, it was very intermittent. At that time it had 28k miles and dealer had to replace the clockspring and every since they did that I've never had that issue again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I know this post is old but the conclusion (fix) I THINK may have very well been this: we put on some Seat Covers 💺 we bought from RockAuto and I remember they had these metal clips that would stretch the cover onto the seat, and there were like 3-4 clips we attached to some wires and metal bars to the bottom of the seats, we took off the seat covers and all the clips and the airbag light hasn’t illuminated since! I don’t believe we damaged anything but we may have been messing with something under the seats when we installed the clips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts