Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G/F just brought me home a 60g 3.5hp compressor, so now the hunt is on for air tools. Looking for some recommendations from those that use them on a daily basis ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Matco, I have a 1/2 Impact Wrench that puts out over 1,000 foot pounds of torque (it is packaged that it is over 600 pound but when they are tested off the factory line they are at least 1,000). Strong enough to remove long since forgotten nuts on farm tractor rear wheels when a 1/2 breaker bar with cheater pipe only broke the breaker bar.

Don't forget to keep you tools oiled. Use a good quality air tool oil, you can find them at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It really depends on how much you use them. I have a Mac Impact Gun that's quiet, but I've had it rebuilt 2 times in a year. Snap-On has a nasty gun that's 1200 ft/lbs. That gun is a beast. Matco has a 3/8ths air rachets with 120 ft/lbs which is rediculous. And Mac has an impacting air rachet with no recoil, so you don't kill your knuckles from the kick back. Nothing beats my Snap-on 1/4 inch air ratchet, that thing is nice and zippy. And my Snap-On 3/8ths Air gun is the most used too in my box. I can even take lug nuts off with it, its 300 ft/lbs.
But if its for at home use, stick to Ingersol Rand, they're way cheaper and they make the air tools for Mac and Matco.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be using it to build the engine on the Wimpala this fall, plus a GN build in the winter, and possibly another 3800 on the exsiting engine inthe wimpala ;) s it'll def get the use this year. I want something to last, strong enough to remove the crank bolt w/o breaking a sweat on the impact, for a airratchet, something strong enough so i wond have to us a ratchet to break it free, the use the air...That being said, i dont want to pay $400 for an impact (is 200-300 reasonable?) and ~200or less on a ratchet?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
i dont want to pay $400 for an impact (is 200-300 reasonable?) and ~200or less on a ratchet?
Yes for the work you will be doing the price is fine, just besure to get the highest torque you can buy. To me it is better to have a higher torque and not need it then not have it and being madder than a wet hornet.:biggrin:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well.... if you want to spend like $200 - $300 ingersol rand is the best choice. You can get a 1000 ft/lbs impact gun for $250, and the snap-on 1200 ft/lbs gun is $375 right now which is a bit out of your price range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts