Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the air filter is properly installed in its air cleaner housing, there is a slight gap on the bottom and you can see a small part of the air filter bottom, right? At first I thought I put it together wrong, but I hinged it correctly on the bottom and upper clamps snapped closed like they should.

How often do you usually replace the air filter? I am at 35k miles and the original filter still looks pretty clean.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Check mine at 5000 mile when oil changed if dirty replace. A lot depends of driving conditions, dirt roads, interstate highways or coal mines like Scotty.

Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was concerned here when seeing the air filter rubber at the bottom. Trusting that ensuring a snug resistance when closing the box means that things are sealing up...

Have settled for changing the air filter once per year - about 35,000 miles driving. Times out nicely with the tranny fluid and filter change interval I've chosen to go with.

General check is to look though the filter at a bright light (hopefully, it's a sunny day), and going from there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
mine was like that when I bought mine (air filter sticking out at the bottom)

But last week I fiddled with it (took off the metal brace bar) and took out the filter, hinged the bottom part of the box together and then slid the filter back in making sure the box didnt come apart at the bottom and then hinged it shut..

no more air filter showing :eek:k3:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine was like that when I bought mine (air filter sticking out at the bottom)

But last week I fiddled with it (took off the metal brace bar) and took out the filter, hinged the bottom part of the box together and then slid the filter back in making sure the box didnt come apart at the bottom and then hinged it shut..

no more air filter showing :eek:k3:
Unless your car has a different air filter housing, there is no way to close the air filter cover without the bottom part of the filter gasket showing. I changed the air filter on my '09 LTZ (3.9 liter engine) today and it went in the same way. I even unclamped the air intake hose to ensure that I was reinstalling the filter door correctly.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think the Fram Air Filters are too fat for the airbox. Mine did the same thing. I use a K&N air filter and it fits perfectly in the airbox and achieves a good seal around it, plus better air flow.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Let's not get into another Air Filter Flow debate please.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Unless your car has a different air filter housing, there is no way to close the air filter cover without the bottom part of the filter gasket showing. I changed the air filter on my '09 LTZ (3.9 liter engine) today and it went in the same way. I even unclamped the air intake hose to ensure that I was reinstalling the filter door correctly.

Idk but somehow I managed to close it fully :beer:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I took out the filter and used my air compressor to blow it out every 3 months. Still looks new

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's not get into another Air Filter Flow debate please.
I am only interested in sealing the filter in the housing properly, and verifying that some of the filter gasket showing on the bottom after clamping the air filter cover is normal. I am using the A/C Delco OEM type filter.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I use wix filters and have the same problem, I just don't worry about it. I change them at 50k, for these conditions that's more than enough.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For those with the cabin air filter, you may want to take out the filter and use the air compressor to blow it out more often. I have to clean mine every month or it gives off a funky smell.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those with the cabin air filter, you may want to take out the filter and use the air compressor to blow it out more often. I have to clean mine every month or it gives off a funky smell.
How do you get the cabin filter out? I think you need to remove the windshield wiper arms and then the cowling cover below?

·
Registered
222 Posts
How do you get the cabin filter out? I think you need to remove the windshield wiper arms and then the cowling cover below?
It's a bit finicky but not too horrible. The owner manual recommends parking the wiper arms halfway up but I can do the job with the wiper blades parked.

I will try to document the procedure. Hmmm beginning of month its a bit overdue, should have time on the weekend.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Just remove the cover and some of the rubber gasket and it comes out. Not too hard. If it's bad then change it, but if its okay then vacuum it or blow it out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This may have already been posted elsewhere, but to change or inspect the cabin air filter, I don't park the wiper blades halfway. I leave them parked down.

Here is the weatherstrip you pull away from the cowl

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have to pop these two plastic push pins. I have a trim tool to do it properly. You could use a screwdriver but I doubt the plastic pin would survive a couple removals before being buggered

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
The lower trim panel then lifts out. The plastic tube is the washer fluid hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is a smaller plastic panel below that looks like it is used to direct airflow into the filter. That just lifts out. The cabin air filter is below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts