Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
We had the dealer do an oil change on our 2016 LTZ2 last week. We picked it up and drove it home and it sat until Friday morning until we headed on a road trip to N. Texas. About an hour into the trip the car chimed, and the message "Airbag" was on the DIC. The message cleared, but the light stayed on for a few minutes then went off. It did this several times on the trip but eventually went off. Anyone else have any issues with the airbag light? Thought I would check before taking it in. I can't see how the service would have anything to do with it, but just an odd coincidence.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hello all,
We had the dealer do an oil change on our 2016 LTZ2 last week. We picked it up and drove it home and it sat until Friday morning until we headed on a road trip to N. Texas. About an hour into the trip the car chimed, and the message "Airbag" was on the DIC. The message cleared, but the light stayed on for a few minutes then went off. It did this several times on the trip but eventually went off. Anyone else have any issues with the airbag light? Thought I would check before taking it in. I can't see how the service would have anything to do with it, but just an odd coincidence.
I agree, it sounds like a coincidence.

Earlier versions (2000-2005) were known for having an airbag issue due to a poor connection under the passenger seat. But that was 2 generations ago.

Still, what you describe sounds like a poor (intermittent) connection somewhere in the system. Everything I've seen in the airbag wiring (from sensors to actuators) appears to use hi-rel connectors, so I'm kinda surprised to see wiring issues. OTOH, when you multiply a one in a million chance times a few million units, you're gonna see a few connector issues.

Anyway, this should be covered under warranty. So I would take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. Regular code scanners cannot read airbag codes, so only a dealer or someone with a Tech2 device can read the codes to pinpoint the source.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hello all,

Cheers,

John
My wife and I bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ - test driving it several times, but there was always a passsenger in the right fron seat.

After buying the car and on the way home from the dealership (driver and no passengers) - the chimes began to sound intermittently and the passenger seat belt unfastened light would illuminate.

We had to return the car for service (one of many, many repairs under warranty). The passenger presence system for the right front seat had to be recalibrated. There would later be a safety recall issued by GM for the problem on the 2014 Impala models (not the limited).

You should return the vehicle to your dealer for repair. I do not think the service you had could cause the problem you're having. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
asking a stupid question, but you didn't happen to have a cell phone in the center panel of the seat throughout that journey did you? i know in my 2010 the cell phone (android or apple) will trip the sensor into thinking someone is sitting in the seat without their seatbelt on. also for an airbag light on the dash that wouldn't go out, use some die electric grease on the yellow connectors under both front seats to ensure a good connection at those points. that may also resolve your issue without a costly visit to the shop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
asking a stupid question, but you didn't happen to have a cell phone in the center panel of the seat throughout that journey did you? i know in my 2010 the cell phone (android or apple) will trip the sensor into thinking someone is sitting in the seat without their seatbelt on. also for an airbag light on the dash that wouldn't go out, use some die electric grease on the yellow connectors under both front seats to ensure a good connection at those points. that may also resolve your issue without a costly visit to the shop.
Hi Joe,
I do set the phone on the center console all the time but it's never done this before..It's under warranty so I'll just take it and drop it off. I wonder if it has set codes. The light isn't on right now. Just pops on whenever it feels like it but usually goes back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts