Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2019 LT V6 and the air bag dash light just started coming intermittently.
It turns out it only comes on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat,
and then not all the time. You can bounce up and down it will often go out.
The car is out of warrantee so it's my problem.
Any known issues or problems to give me a head start on where to look first.

· Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
344 Posts
Recommend cleaning related harness connectors with electrical contact cleaner...might be a bit of corrosion creeping in and it will start to give erroneous signals due to the higher resistance. Might cure your prob...definitely won't hurt....

· Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2019 LT V6 and the air bag dash light just started coming intermittently.
It turns out it only comes on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat,
and then not all the time. You can bounce up and down it will often go out.
The car is out of warrantee so it's my problem.
Any known issues or problems to give me a head start on where to look first.

You must have the airbag system scanned for any trouble codes.

The three primary issues could be:

1. The passenger presence system (a sensor pad inside the seat cushion bottom) can be out of calibration, and need to be recalibrated (set to zero pounds) by a GM Tech-2 system.

2. One or more airbag wiring connectors or wires are loose or damaged. This could be under the seat, or where the wiring enters the seat.

3. Some other airbag issue detected (such as a defective seat pad sensor).

I bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ. When my wife drove the vehicle home after purchase, the airbag light turned on and remained on. We had to return our new vehicle for repair, and not drive with someone in the RF seat. It took the dealer a week to repair it (re calibration). Later, GM issued a safety recall for the issue for the Impala models with the heated and cooled front seats. The recall did not apply to your year vehicle (recall issued before your car made).

GM has also issued several safety recalls involving the chafing of the airbag seat wiring. Your model year is not under an airbag safety recall per the NHTSA web site.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you,
It looks like this is not as simple as I thought. I will start with the connector cleaning and go from there.
I don't see any chaffing or wire damage of any kind and I can see where the wires go into the seat pad.
It looks like a pita to preplace any of those seat sensors.
Is there a computer under the passengers carpet that records events that might need to be reset? I saw that on a youtube video.

· Registered
2,526 Posts
Thank you,
It looks like this is not as simple as I thought. I will start with the connector cleaning and go from there.
I don't see any chaffing or wire damage of any kind and I can see where the wires go into the seat pad.
It looks like a pita to preplace any of those seat sensors.
Is there a computer under the passengers carpet that records events that might need to be reset? I saw that on a youtube video.

You may save yourself time, money and aggravation if you have the system scanned for any airbag trouble codes - which will point you in the right direction.

Many aftermarket scanners do not retrieve the GM airbag codes.

One quick test (but it won’t fix the problem) is to start the engine with someone seated in the LF seat - with their seatbelt buckled. If the passenger airbag light is illuminated, reach over and buckle the RF seatbelt. If the light goes out - the issue is probably in the seat cushion passenger presence system sensor. I’d bet the sensor simply needs to be recalibrated using a GM Tech-2 device.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any resolution?
Unfortunately No,

It turns out my scan tool, with the updated software, only goes up to 2016 so I need a new scan tool to proceed.

I tried the seat belt test and the dash SRS light is usually off so when I started the car with the seat belt fastened everything looks fine.

I fastened the passengers belt and nothing changed, no lights. I did find the spot in the center of the seat with the weight sensor and
when I push on the spot the air bag on light comes on, up top by the on-star controls but the dash SRS light is still off.

So I'm thinking that its not the pressure sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts