Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start I would like to say that I have searched the forums for the answers to my questions...and have only found minor information. So I am going to ask what I would like to know all in one post...

I have a 2004 Impala LS. I bought the Alpine IVE-W535HD, and the $150 harness. Will the harness place all the features of the stock radio that I need to reset oil life, tire pressure, and change the lighting and chimes?

If not, I know that there are other ways to reset the oil and tire. But what about the lights and chimes?

Is there a radio or harness or update or anything that will place these feautres on the radio so I do not have to mess around with light switches and gas pedals?

Ps. I beleive my anntenna was powered through the stock amp. I get terrible radio reception now after putting in aftermarket amps. Is there a way to get a stronger radio signal back?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know that the aftermarket radio will not have your stock radios ability to reset all your stuff. With the wire harness you should still have your door chimes and things like that. Maybe someone else can answer the questions about other radios that have that ability. I have no idea about the antenna. Sorry I couldn't be more help

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2005 base but everything I need works just fine. You can reset the oil life with the accelerator pedal and there is a way to reset the tire pressure monitoring system with the headlight switch (these can be searched). The harness should have a speaker on it for chimes (I am assuming you mean like door open sound or key in ignition). Don't know why you have so much trouble with the signal, I get signal just fine on mine. I use aftermarket amps too. Using a Pioneer head unit: I would check the connection of the antenna cable to the HU. There should be an adapter cable that fits from the new radio to the GM connector (usually sold separately)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you RichardGriese.

I did find all that information already. However, I am looking to see if there is a head unit or a harness that gives me everything, without having to use my accelerator and lightswitches, ect.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I doubt that there is. I think the harness I used was a scosche (pretty basic I'm sure). I don't think that manufacturers would make a HU that was so specific to GM (or any car) because tech will change, the car company made an alternate route, and other companies make adapters for the radios.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes however, he goes on to mention you need an additional part because the radio turns on all the time hooked up to accessory power, which I am assuming is the databus interface. Which reading the original post here, he has already bought that harness.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes however, he goes on to mention you need an additional part because the radio turns on all the time hooked up to accessory power, which I am assuming is the databus interface. Which reading the original post here, he has already bought that harness.
Incorrect:

Quote from reviewer

"You pull the door handle, the radio comes on and stays on for up to 10 minutes. if you have an impala with GM BUS data control, this is not for you. You need a different box. The box is made by PAC. Go to PAC's website, and look up the details for your car, and it will give you the correct part number. "

·
Registered
71 Posts
there is a factory relocation wire harness that put the factory radio in the trunk and run to the back of the radio and retains all the factory function and is friendly on the wallet. My installer did this on my 2000 impala ls. the complete install came to 100 you just got to search on ebay and get lucky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stopped by a place callede Boomer Mcloud, they told me all I had to do was run the Power, Accessory, ground and data wires to the trunk witht eh factory radio.

Does anyone know which wire is the data wire?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured out which wire is the data wire.

My next question is this. In order to run the wires to the trunk and hook up the radio, I would need to be the relocation harness or a reverse harness. I cut the harness going from the factory radio to the factory amp. Will these harnesses fit the radio exactly as the harness at the radio right now?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks G25.

When I put my new radio in yesterday, I was hoping to use the factory harness from the factory amp. But, A few years ago I put in a Isimple, and already had a reverse harness! So all I need to do is mount the radio in the trunk.

Oh, and because I am using RCAs from the new Alpine to a speaker amp, I have to run a small 3.5" speaker under the dash for the chimes.

So close, yet so far haha.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are the 8th gens built the same way as far as the head unit controlling the oil life, chimes, and everything else? I have a 2011 Impala LS. I can change all of that from my gauge cluster but is that just where the readout is? Thanks

I am planning on putting in an aftermarket head unit, and was not aware of this possible problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts