Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm new here. I just bought a 2004 chevy impala and the dealer I bought it from didnt have the key fob to it so I bought one off amazon. How can I tell if my model is equipped with the keyless entry? And is there a fuse or relay for the keyless entry? If so where to find it and get my key fob working? I've never had this issue with programming any fobs to and of my older chevys like this. Please help

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
How can I tell if my model is equipped with the keyless entry?
I cannot imagine it is not equipped, but to be sure, look at the RPO sticker (Service Parts Identification Label) which should be on the inside of the trunk lid. According to my info, the RPO code AU0 means "Lock Control, Remote Entry". So you should see that somewhere on the sticker.

The fuse is in the junction box on the end of the dash on the passenger side. It should be a 10A fuse marked DIC/RKE.

In case it's useful, I've attached a schematic for the keyless entry system.

The instructions I have indicate a scan tool such as a GM Tech2 is necessary for synchronizing a new key fob. So you'll need to find someone who has one, or pay the dealer to sync it for you.

Important
All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs.
  3. Press the START soft key on the scan tool.

> Important
    > The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
  4. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10 seconds, the scan tool will indicate that the transmitter is programmed.
  5. Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4 transmitters.
  6. Remove the scan tool.
  7. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

HTH.
Doug

2004_impala_keyless_entry_CAUNGNPA.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. Been more helpful than other forums. I'll check in the morning for both. Ik the fob works I put a brand new battery in it and put it to the fob tester they have at the parts stores and it works. So I'll check for the fuse and the RPO. Thank you so much Plano-Doug for the help.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Welcome! I have discovered in the past few months off you email [email protected] and request an rpo code breakdown they will do it for free and within one or two business days. I've had this done in two Silverados now and it's been quite informative.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joes74challenger I had a 03 silverado and I bought a aftermarket key fob for it and worked fine without having to bring it to the shop. All I have to do was put my key in the ignition and press and hold lock/unlock buttons and it programmed with no problem. It's just having the issue with this impala I have. 1st car I've ever had an issue with programming a key fob and it kinda pisses me off a lil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I miss the good old days back in the '90s, or at least with '90s vintage GM cars, when you could put a jumper wire on a couple of terminals in the OBD II connector and sync up to four remotes in about 30 seconds. Newer cars from the 2000s forward are a little more complicated unless you have access to one of those Tech Tool scanners, the ones that cost in the thousands of dollars. A $99 code reader from Harbor Freight isn't going to do this job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I remember those. But I took mine to the dealer and turns out mine wasn't equipped with keyless entry. I have to get a aftermarket system installed ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts