Impala Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the Spec-D lightbar headlights for a while and have gone through 3 pairs from the original purchase - 2 pairs being RMAs.

They experience stress cracks on the housing and even worse, it's almost guaranteed that one of them ends up allowing a moisture leak inside it which is perfect for Florida weather.

So I wanted any recommendations as to what headlights I should try next. Should I re-purchase the same model and hope they fixed this issue? At least the moisture leaking. Or should I run with one of the other two halo headlights? I'm not familiar if I should know anything about the other two before I dive into more problems.

Spec-D: Lightbar (what I currently have)

Anzo USA: Halos

Spyder Auto: Halos

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
I've tried 3 different aftermarket headlights on my 2012 (black-and-clear, the Spec-D headlights that you currently have and finally the Spyder CCFL halo headlights). I returned the black-and-clear headlights after I had condensation and major water leaks with 2 different sets. I returned the Spec-D lightbar headlights after I had condensation and fitment issues with them.

I was about to give up on aftermarket headlights when I decided the try the Spyder CCFL halo headlights. I've had them installed for years now and they have been absolutely fantastic! No condensation issues, no water leak issues, no fitment issues, no issues at all. Great light output as well. I would highly recommend the Spyder CCFL halos... I'd also recommend the Ebay seller VIPMotoz - they have them for $235 and have an excellent return policy.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Are you sure that they aren't halo headlights? I mean the title is "LED DUAL HALO projector headlights"! :)

I personally don't really like the 4 stupid LED's going across the top of the Spyder headlights - and I actually plan on disconnecting them (you have the choice of connecting them or not - same with the halos for that matter - it's completely up to you what and how you wires things with the Spyder headlights). Another option that some people may like is to replace the white LED's for an alternate color on the Spyder headlights.

But one thing is for sure, compared to the other aftermarket headlights I've tried, the Spyder headlights were definitely a notch above the others in terms of quality. They were also the only ones that weren't made in China. :)

I don't have any experience with the Anzo's. I never tried them because I personally didn't like the LED's on the side of them... I know that others have tried them though - hopefully someone can comment on their quality.

EDIT: Yeah, they are definitely halo headlights and even have the same 4 LEDs as the Spyder headlights across the top... Also keep in mind that they are actually chrome headlights - not black. Here is a better Ebay listing for them (and significantly cheaper as well):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381542050005

Also, the Spyder headlights that I have do come in a "smoked" version ("Sinister Black") - but only in the LED halo rings varient. CCFL halo rings are much brighter (can see them very well even in the daytime).

And yet one other option with the Spyder lights - VIPMotoz all sells a version with LED tech used for the headlights - not sure if these are CCFL or LED halos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172708943080

·
Registered
256 Posts

VIPMotoz on EBay for both my head and taillights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
@09_Impala_SS - have you been as happy with the Spyder headlights as I have? I mean I've never even had to replace a bulb - have never had any issues whatsoever, which seems to be rather rare with aftermarket headlights! :) I'm certainly not complaining though!

·
Registered
256 Posts
@09_Impala_SS - have you been as happy with the Spyder headlights as I have? I mean I've never even had to replace a bulb - have never had any issues whatsoever, which seems to be rather rare with aftermarket headlights! :) I'm certainly not complaining though!

Honestly I love them. At first the light output was kinda crappy. I have the "Sinister Black" versions. The have a black housing with a tinted lens. Once I hooked up the halos the light output has been fine. Zero issues with them. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking into aftermarket headlights :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i bought the LED tailights (sinister black) and halogen blacked out headlights (looks identical to factory buckets but with blacked out appearance instead of chrome) from VIPMotoz. the tailights have been spot on great, the headlights are garbage. can't keep them from letting moisture in fogging over. i even went through and used silicone on the seam to prevent this from happening on both sets and still couldn't stop the moisture issue. i'm on the second set since they had the 30 day guarantee on their products.

I'm going Spyder on my next set to the cffl Halo's (probably ordering this fall).

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Yeah, I had the same type of issues with the "regular" black headlights - like you, I even tried to seal them myself with some extra silicone and still had MAJOR water leaks - one of them even filled up with water that I had to pour out! :)

I've never even had a hint of condensation with the Spyder CCFL halos. Like I said, highly recommended. They have, by far, the best "venting system" of any of teh aftermarket headlights I've seen.

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
587 Posts
Yeah, I had the same type of issues with the "regular" black headlights - like you, I even tried to seal them myself with some extra silicone and still had MAJOR water leaks - one of them even filled up with water that I had to pour out! :)

I've never even had a hint of condensation with the Spyder CCFL halos. Like I said, highly recommended. They have, by far, the best "venting system" of any of teh aftermarket headlights I've seen.

Do you have a thread of your own anywhere for these? Would like to read up some more on these and dont want to totally hijack OPs thread. Just curious about installation...and just how plug and play these headlights are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried 3 different aftermarket headlights on my 2012 (black-and-clear, the Spec-D headlights that you currently have and finally the Spyder CCFL halo headlights). I returned the black-and-clear headlights after I had condensation and major water leaks with 2 different sets. I returned the Spec-D lightbar headlights after I had condensation and fitment issues with them.

I was about to give up on aftermarket headlights when I decided the try the Spyder CCFL halo headlights. I've had them installed for years now and they have been absolutely fantastic! No condensation issues, no water leak issues, no fitment issues, no issues at all. Great light output as well. I would highly recommend the Spyder CCFL halos... I'd also recommend the Ebay seller VIPMotoz - they have them for $235 and have an excellent return policy.

Do you have issues with the low beam bulbs regularly burning out?

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Do you have issues with the low beam bulbs regularly burning out?
No, I have not had that issue at all. I did put brighter bulbs in at one point, but otherwise, I've never had to replace one.

The little LED bulbs across the top have started to go out though (after many years). I've been very happy with these headlights.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a white 2007 impala LT with the aftermarket blacked out housing/clear corners that came with the LED's but they burned out (this was what the owner I bought it from told me) so I installed regular halogen bulbs i had laying around for both HI/Low beams. I personally love mine! It changes the look of the car by a lot! Also note the SS honeycomb upper/lower grilles I added as well.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts