Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2002 Impala LS and would like to upgrade the stereo to an aftermarket head unit. I've done some reading up but haven't found all the answers I'm looking for so I'm hoping to fill in some gaps here.

I know I'll lose the oil light reset but I can do that via the ignition key/gas pedal method.

I also found the bypass chime boxes that handle door chimes and Onstar (if I decide I want to pay for the service.)

The issues I have not seemed to find answers for are:
  1. Will I lose the ability to program car remotes?
  2. Will the car remotes still work?
  3. Will the factory alarm still work?
  4. How can I program the behavior of the automatic door lock/unlock?

Before I get in too deep right off the bat for a stereo, I figured I should find out if by changing the stereo I also need to add an alarm system and who knows what else.

Appreciate any input you can provide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
(1) steering wheel radio adjustments will be lost
(2) yes
(3) yes
(4) not sure
heres a pic of mine...and everything still works fine... although, i did install a new alarm

·
Registered
81 Posts
actuall, you may not lose the steering wheel controls if you pay the extra for the right harness...sorry bout that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i just got a 2000 base, i want to put an ipod capable deck in ( controls through the deck) can the wheel controls still work? and with what harness if possible?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i just got a 2000 base, i want to put an ipod capable deck in ( controls through the deck) can the wheel controls still work? and with what harness if possible?

Be careful on the ipod hookup. I recently purchased a product called isimple from bestbuy.com and basically the isimple wiring harness connects with the factory radio harness and then you plug your ipod to it. So therefore you can scroll through your play list and choose songs directly from your factory radio meanwhile you leave the ipod in the glove box or where. Had it for two weeks, works perfect, then all of a sudden my car wouldn't start up. The security light lit up on my dash. Later to find out, the isimple wiring harness caused this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts