Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a transmission flush on my impala back in early november and it seems like i have lost some torq should i take it back to the dealership or is this normal for the trans to loose the torqe with a new transmission filter kit?

·
Registered
358 Posts
your a brave man.........

i would NEVER do a flush on my car!!!!!!!

thats just my 2¢!!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You may want to change the filter again, the tranny flush may have loosened up some gunk in the tranny and clogging the new filter hopefully. Also some shops will not change the filter when they flush the transmission.

The best time to do a tranny flush is at the proper fluid/filter change times. If the tranny goes over the reommended change time most transmission shops do not reommend flushing them for it can cause varnish and other gunk to clog up the vital ports in the valvebody of the unit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it close to what GM recomended at 80,000km well mine was 79880 i also had to get my oil changed an then have ym front breaks done so i figured do that.. but ill pop by to GM on friday an tell em an seee what they have to say !

·
Registered
557 Posts
Flushing the trans works way better than draining and filling. U usually don't replace the filter, because you don't need to. Its ok to do it when you have less than 100k miles on it. However, if you have more but never had a trans flush done, don't do it. It may actually cause damage to the trans. But if you've been up to date with the maintence you're ok.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
capricewiz

yea i kept up with maitnence when i got the car, did the checkups and all that stuff but the only mystery is the first 40,000km which i dont know about cuz i bought the car used the only info i found out was that it was a formal rental car in the toronto-milton area from hertz rental. but when i got the car they did do the following L.O.F, New front and rear pads n roaters, tires adn fuel filter change and a E-test an checked everything else which was good. so but i just wasnt sure why after the transmission flush why my car didnt have that pep anymore ill be goin to the dealer on fri an see what they say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would under no condition EVER buy an ex-rental car...people bag the shit out of those things often. And with that many different people driving it you just never know. With that few kms a flush shouldn't have hurt it, but like i said about rental cars...they get abused and worn out much faster...

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea rental = fun!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
my first impala was an ex-rental car. It was actually a great car. I only had to do a maf sensor and pressure control solenoids in it. The rest was fine.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
When I was under 25 years old I was charged crazy additional fees for being under 25 so I made sure i got the optional"walk away free" insurance and took my 1,500 mile new rental off road a few times as well as honda street races:) Got my money's worth.

·
Registered
113 Posts
my first impala was an ex-rental car. It was actually a great car. I only had to do a maf sensor and pressure control solenoids in it. The rest was fine.
Don't get me wrong...im sure some ex-rentals are fine...but with that many different people driving them it's a higher statistical probability that you'll get one that's been abused. I have several friends who work at car dealerships (rental places get their cars serviced at the local dealerships here) and some of the horror stories of cars the rental companies have brought in have turned me forever off the idea.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't get me wrong...im sure some ex-rentals are fine...but with that many different people driving them it's a higher statistical probability that you'll get one that's been abused. I have several friends who work at car dealerships (rental places get their cars serviced at the local dealerships here) and some of the horror stories of cars the rental companies have brought in have turned me forever off the idea.
True, but what kind of people actually ask to rent an Impala? Usually old farts that want a big car to use or more responsible adults. I highly doubt younger kids would actually want to drive and impala.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i was only 18 when i bought my 1st impala ;) !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually...if they're out of compact cars, the midsize cars are what they give you next...and it's not just young kids that beat the shit out of rental cars...in fact, most of them wont even rent you a car here if you're younger than 25. And they still get demolished.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
In 1995 my mom bought a one year old "program car" (rental unit) with 23K on the clock. Today she still owns it and it only has 91K. Just passed its emission test last saturday with very low emissions (13 out of 141 allowed low speed, and 33 out of 147 allowed at high speed on the hydorcarbons).

The trick was we tested two identical cars in 95 both not far off the assembly line from each other and only 3k mileage difference between the two cars. The one my mom has was very responsive and handled really well and, well, the other car you could tell had been abused even though it had 3K less miles.

Also get a carfax report on anyone you plan to buy, this will help tell you if the dealership had to do any major repairs to it. The dealership where my mom bought hers even gave her a free report before she bought the car.

Here is a few trick we used to get her a good car:
1) Test drive two or three of the model you are looking to buy. I do put them to the test but only as I would drive them as my own car.
2) Get a carfax report and look it over carefully. If you find that the car has had major repairs you may want to look for a different car.
3) Have the dealer put the car up on the rack and you or a trusted friend look at the underside, wheel wells, front and rear bumper areas for any repaired body structure, if you see damage walk away.
4) If you wonder if it has been in a flood, check the trunk under the carpet. You can usually see water line marks even under the car if it has been flooded. The trunk may have been cleaned but usually the back side of the door panels are not if you can check them.
5) Check over the engine bay really well, such as oil color and smell, do the same with the transmission fluid, check the color and condition of the coolant. If possible look in the oil fill port and see how clean the engine is, clean metal to a light brown with no grit then the engine is clean. If you find black sand like or tar like in the oil port do not buy that car. Check the battery area for rust and/or unexplained holes, could mean the car has been wrecked or not maintained properly.

Hope this helps all whom are looking for their next car, truck or whatever.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
77impala,

I tested out close to 25 impalas from various dealerships in the london and surrounding area and this was the best one, each impala ran diffrent, felt diffrent so i went with the best one an this was the one. i happy with her shes serving her purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts