Impala Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2004 just came out of the repair shop where, after about two weeks of troubleshooting, they found a broken wire, in the insulation, next to the main computer. This was causing the fuel pump to not run. Now the original key, that has worked for years, will no longer turn the lock cylinder. The spare aftermarket key that we use occasionally, and left when we dropped the car off at the independent repair shop, works fine, but only if I push in on it, against a small resistance, before I turn it. This works every time. What could have happened that would cause the "old" key to suddenly not work anymore?

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 247.5k miles
328 Posts
@WES0778 : Maybe the key is just worn out? I can tell you with my 2002, the key has been giving me trouble for probably two years now. This is an original key from when I bought the vehicle brand new, so it's 20 years old now! Probably need a new cylinder, new key, or both, but what I've been doing is just inserting the key and then kind of doing a very quick "sawing" motion (or just a very quick, tight vibration of the key in and out) with the key in the cylinder (while also applying a bit of pressure to the right to turn it) ... and it turns and starts every time. I'm guessing what I'm doing is vibrating the "tumblers" inside to get them to fall into place? I dunno. Until I came up with this "quick vibration" method, I actually had some anxious moments where I'd stick the key in and it wouldn't turn, so I'd pull it back out and try again. Only when I came up with the "leave the key in there, but quickly vibrate it"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts