Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for hints/tips/tricks for doing a spark plug change on a 96 Caprice Classic. Between the exhaust piping, the brake hard lines on the driver side, etc its looking to be a PITA. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
If you put the front of the car on jackstands you can get a lot of locations through the wheelwell betyween the inner fender and the frame long as you have a good selection of extensions and a wobble joint.

Looks really intimidating at first but is not that bad. Now with some aftermarket headers it is BAD like having to unbolt a header bad.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I was looking at mine yesterday, I can see most of the plug's, and I'm fairly good at working blind, so I'm going to try from the top when I get around to it. Right now I have to get my gas tank back in. I'm getting to old to be doing this shit in my driveway !

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I have done them from the top too. It works, just a little crampred.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I kind of figured some of you wrench turners didn't pull the front tires off for this. I've got some fancy smancy snap-on double swivel plug sockets and and ...what they call a spark-plug ratchet, looks like someone went nuts with it in a vice...LOL.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
both of my inner fenders have slits in the metal so u can bend one piece or the other while ur under the car for more room ( i didnt do this it was bought this way but made it way easier when i do mine ) but i take the wheels off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another piece of advice is Check that none of your wires are resting on the Exhaust Manifolds after you re-install them. I Didnt check and burned my #7 wire...... that was a bad week

1 - 8 of 8 Posts