Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anone had any good suggestions on parts for my 2004 impala ss, i was looing to put a new air intake system and exaust, also i need a good suggestion on roters and brake pads any feedback would be helpful so far ive looked on 3800perfomance and autoanything i jus dont know how good the products are they are selling

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like you're in the wrong section...this is for the earlier Bbody cars.

That said, I'll try to help!

If you're looking to improve performance (and I'm assuming that this is the case), you first need to decide what your goals are. Do you want it to be a good bit quicker then stock, but still a mild mannered street commuter type? Or are you looking for a big horsepower (read: big budget) build?

Assuming that you just want to see a decent power increase over stock, you'll want to start with:

- Eliminating the highly restrictive "U-bend" section of your exhaust- this is best achieved by buying and installing a 3" downpipe (much easier) or buying and installing a set of headers (harder but bigger gains):
Downpipe:
ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

Headers:
Stainless SS Racing Manifold Header Exhaust Grand Prix GTP Regal Impala 3 8L V6 | eBay

- A cold air intake is a decent purchase for your blown 3800, too. Plenty of options out there. Try wbodystore.com or zzperformance.com and look at what they have.

- The biggest gain you'll see is from dropping the size of your supercharger pulley. Before doing this, you'll absolutely NEED to get a 3" downpipe on the car and install spark plugs 1 heat range colder then stock (Autolite 605s work really). The pulley system is about $100; you'll need to rent or purchase a pulley too as well.
Pulley system:
ZZPerformance - Modular Pulley System #ZZ-38MPS

Tool:
ZZPerformance - Supercharger Pulley Puller #ZZ-PPULR

With a 3" downpipe or headers, a cold air intake, and a 3.4 or 3.5" supercharger pulley they car will feel totally different. After that, custom PCM programming, high ratio roller rockers, cat-back exhaust, and other mods are available; or you could pursue more difficult/expensive mods that yield bigger horsepower results, too (intercooler, performance camshaft, cylinder heads, even a turbo kit).

Hope this gets you going in the right direction- I'd do a bunch of research across the 'web before buying anything. Google is your friend. :)

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Great advice above, but as far as an intake, get a fenderwell intake. Best option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts