Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2006 Impala wouldn't start this morning. I noticed immediately that the keyless entry response - though working - was slow. Got in the car and it wouldn't start. Tried to jump it, but car still wouldn't start. All you here is a clicking noise when you turn the key, so I'm wondering if this is the starter? Any thoughts on things I can try to make sure I diagnosis the problem correctly?

As I side note, did the Overkill tune about 1.5 weeks ago and the car has been running fine no problem until now. The battery connections seem tight. Before today, last time I used the car was Friday night when I took it through the car wash. Only washed the exterior, so it's hard to imagine water would have gotten in and shorted something.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Generally if a single click then the starter is out, if multiple clicks then a low/bad battery.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys, so I have a theory as to why my battery died. Please read IndianaTom's post here:

One thing to be careful about. When you disconnect the Negative terminal of the battery make sure you don't loose that tiny cone shaped NUT that clamps the terminal together. I was very careful but still managed to let it slip out of my hand the second time I tried to reinstall it.
That thing went into the Abyss never to be seen again and believe me I tried looking for it on the ground in the car, etc. It was just gone with the wind. I figured no big deal put another nut on that stud. Well not so fast. There was a reason that nut was tapered and cone shaped on the bottom. When you tighten it down that cone goes into an opening and tightens the terminal around the battery. I had several nuts that fit that stud on the battery terminal but none of them had the cone part on the bottom so none of them were able to tighten the terminal. Okay, I figured go to my local Chevy Dealer and get another nut. Not so fast young man. That nut is part of the terminal the parts manager said. Okay, then give me a terminal and I just use the Nut. Not so fast Young man, that terminal is part of the battery cable. Okay, then give me the battery cable. Okay, I can order that for you for a mere $189 Dollars.
WHAT???!!! I told him that is lunacris. In order to replace that little tiny nut I need to buy a new cable costing over 180 bucks? That is just insane. I tried looking for this stupid Nut again but could never find it. I guess the only thing I can do is cut off the terminal and put on a Universal terminal. This Chevy Impala Terminal is the crappiest system I have ever seen to secure it to the battery. So if you do take off that precious NUT. Be very, very careful and DO NOT LOOSE it!

I also lost the cone shaped nut IndianaTom is talking about. I thought I could just replace it with another nut, which I did, since the cone-shaped nut doesn't actually hold the cable to the battery. With regular nut, car ran fine until for 2 weeks until I was out of town and left the car sit for 4 days. Now the battery won't start and battery is totally dead.

If the cone does in fact serve this purpose, do you think this is what caused the battery to die? Where can I get another one? What would be my best option from here? IndianaTom talked about a universal terminal....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just saw this on a Corvette forum regarding the possible cause of a dead battery:

Incorrect terminal nuts on battery (they must be cone-shaped nuts or else the clamp won't tighten). Ok, now I strongly think this is why my battery is dead. Where can I get the proper cone-shaped nut?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Try a junk yard maybe you will get lucky there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a thread all about this PITA problem:

Looking For Battery Terminal Nut - Corvette Forum

Some guy in the thread found one of these cone nuts on Ebay. I can't believe that Chevy's solution is buy the $100 cable if you lose a 20 cent nut!?! If anyone can locate one of these nuts on the net and let me know, I would certainly be most grateful. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait a minute, if you follow that link, it appears a dude is selling them right there for $5! Hell yes count me in buying it!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
For future reference, there is no reason at all to take the nut off, just loosen it.

·
Banned
748 Posts
For future reference, there is no reason at all to take the nut off, just loosen it.
and duct tape it's end to the terminal after you loosen it :biggrin:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'll be sure to duct tape my nuts from here on out!!!
I showed this post to my wife and she never, ever wants me to visit this forum EVER again.

You guys may have ruined Jayman's marriage

BTW any ideas on how to quickly yank the duct tape off?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
pulling it off might make you want to die :lol::yikes::gaah:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I changed my battery about 3 weeks ago in my 06 Impala, (after the mechanics who installed my Quickstruts drained my old battery), and I was surprised how silly the terminal clamps are. I just slacked the cone shaped nuts enough to slip the clamps off to save time and not lose them.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to have clamp nuts directly on the terminals like on honda cars and others? I don't know why Chevy has to come up with such stupid ideas? :bang:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That's what makes them Chevy?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Received cone nut in the mail today. Screwed it on tight, jumped it, took about 5 minutes until the dead battery had enough juice to start the car. Drove it into work, drove back, no problem. All seems well. As always, thanks everyone for your input.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Glad to hear :eek:k3: don't loose anymore nuts :giggle:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts