Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 impala w-body and i want to put some 20 inch rims on it. What adjustments must be made to the car if i decide to add the rims and what tire size would be best?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am actually going that same route and it will be done this friday. I am getting a set of 20 pacers on low profile tires and i would actually like that question answered as well. same year car and everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first got my 2000 Impala I had a set of 20X8.5 (35 series) inch wheels on it and was a direct bolt on with no modifications and had no problems with them. I'm pretty sure the 2000 and 2005 are very similar. I have then upgraded to 22s but with a smaller tire (30 series) and I had to grind down the edge of the strut in the rear so it wont rub. Since being on have not had any issues.

Pics of it on 20s:

Pics of it on 22s:

·
Registered
101 Posts
That looks Real Good ^ i love the way the white stands out with that mesh grill. i have a question though... if i have 22's you mentioned something about 30 series what do you mean by that??

·
Registered
109 Posts
That looks Real Good ^ i love the way the white stands out with that mesh grill. i have a question though... if i have 22's you mentioned something about 30 series what do you mean by that??
30 series tires is what he's referring to... the height of the tires sidewall.

·
Registered
823 Posts
30 profile tires around here = bent rim in a week. Truthfully in the added weight means you need a big brake kit, as these cars just werent meant for a 80 + pound wheel tire.

You also need to make sure you buy the proper tire and offset.

Im not against running big rims. I ran 20"s for 3 years, but I have a problem with people not being responsible and realizing the car wasnt meant for this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
^Thats because you 1 didnt research your offset and buy the correct rim with correct for your car. and 2. You ghetto rigged a lift.

Wonderful, I hope I never have to drive next to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
why everyone say ghetto riged?:WTF: i live in the ghetto man its not all riged daymn thats a stereo type lmao xD:dunno:
plus u need a right lift if ur going to do that or go any bigger.

·
Registered
823 Posts
We say ghetto rigged because the other contains an offensive word. and most of these hack jobs come out of the ghetto so it fits.

While you may not think what you did was ghetto rigged or wrong, you havent looked into it enough. You just added significant body roll which makes you much more likely to roll over , changed the spring rate, put an unsafe load on your braking system. I can go on.

No you DONT have to do a lift to fit rims, There are alternatives. Rolling fenders, and tubbing being the most common.

2. If you go to a wheel that absolutely requires a lift you chose the WRONG SIZE wheel. You need to go to one that is going to be safe.

I drive everyday and clench my teeth everytime one of these passes. I enjoy not dying simply because some thug wants 30" rims on a hyundai.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We say ghetto rigged because the other contains an offensive word. and most of these hack jobs come out of the ghetto so it fits.

While you may not think what you did was ghetto rigged or wrong, you havent looked into it enough. You just added significant body roll which makes you much more likely to roll over , changed the spring rate, put an unsafe load on your braking system. I can go on.

No you DONT have to do a lift to fit rims, There are alternatives. Rolling fenders, and tubbing being the most common.

2. If you go to a wheel that absolutely requires a lift you chose the WRONG SIZE wheel. You need to go to one that is going to be safe.

I drive everyday and clench my teeth everytime one of these passes. I enjoy not dying simply because some thug wants 30" rims on a hyundai.
actually most of these lifts come from suburbia trying to do something they saw on a video.... sooooooo i think a name change is in order, and the other name should have never applied period. i wont even go into the alternative.....as for rims on a hyundai we both know where that came from(see above)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well IDK about you, but I used to live in the inner city and saw FWD lifts everyday. Moved out to Suburbia and havent seen one since, unless im visiting the city.

In suburbia you get the soccer mom with a tahoe on 24"S, a lowered 1500 on 22"s.

They have the money to properly do whatever they want, so you dont see donks. If the rim store tells them a 17" is as big as they can go they buy 17"S.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I am actually going that same route and it will be done this friday. I am getting a set of 20 pacers on low profile tires and i would actually like that question answered as well. same year car and everything.
Might be best to get those answers before doing this?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Do you really want to have to put up with all the negatives this would create?
You mean like minorly lower MPGs and eventual failed tranny? ALL 2 things.....Don't get me wrong, the tranny is serious stuff, but lot's not be dramatic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts