Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 Impala Base 3.4L, and the only option it has is A/C (which I have been told doesnt work), and I was wondering if it is possible to add cruise control, and possibly replace the am/fm/tape radio with an am/fm/cd? I know the upgrades won't happen right away, I have more serious issues to deal with first (intake gaskets, exhaust leak, bad thermostat), but I am just trying to get an idea of whether or not it is actually possible, and how much it might cost. Thanks!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I thought cruise was part of the base package? No buttons on the steering wheel? The radio can be swapped directly with one from another impala, there were some differences in years, but you should be safe with 01-03. Or, you can go with an aftermarket stereo. There are a few options on how to do that without losing functions like being able to reset the oil life.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no buttons on the steering wheel or the turn signal/wiper switch, no abs brakes, no traction control, cloth seats, no center console, column shifter, and am/fm/cassette radio. Oh yeah, it does have power windows and mirrors. I love the car, but it must be the lowest trim package available in 03.

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
This is the 1st I'm hearing about the n/a cruise control.. can you take a pic of your steering wheel? I'd be interested in deleting mine

·
Banned
667 Posts
This is the 1st I'm hearing about the n/a cruise control.. can you take a pic of your steering wheel? I'd be interested in deleting mine
maybe it's a add in option

Nope, no buttons on the steering wheel or the turn signal/wiper switch, no abs brakes, no traction control, cloth seats, no center console, column shifter, and am/fm/cassette radio. Oh yeah, it does have power windows and mirrors. I love the car, but it must be the lowest trim package available in 03.
adding all these things is going to cost big $$$ and may not be worth it. I suggest finding a donor LS car that you can get cheap.

or if you find one with a bad transmission you could just swap them. and it would be less work then installing everything..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, I'll grab one in the morning, it just has shallow indents where buttons would normally be. It really surprised me that there isnt cruise. I have had a couple really base model vehicles, one didnt even have power windows, and they had cruise (it didn't work properly, but was there lol).

·
Banned
667 Posts
Sure, I'll grab one in the morning, it just has shallow indents where buttons would normally be. It really surprised me that there isnt cruise. I have had a couple really base model vehicles, one didnt even have power windows, and they had cruise (it didn't work properly, but was there lol).
the base impala model is normally used as fleet.

fleet cars do not need it.
Fleet vehicles may include somethings such as A/C,power windows,power mirrors. this is so the USER does not damage these items

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I made the wrong impression? All I am even considering adding (if possible) is the am/fm/cd, and cruise control. I was just stating what my car has and doesnt have. I don't even want Leather seats or ABS brakes, and I dont mind the column shift or lack of a center console. The previous owners of the car bought it from a chevy dealer at 3 years old, so it may have originally been a fleet vehicle.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Maybe I made the wrong impression? All I am even considering adding (if possible) is the am/fm/cd, and cruise control. I was just stating what my car has and doesnt have. I don't even want Leather seats or ABS brakes, and I dont mind the column shift or lack of a center console. The previous owners of the car bought it from a chevy dealer at 3 years old, so it may have originally been a fleet vehicle.
it can be verified by the VIN if it was.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will also check that in the morning, its cold and dark here and I dont want to go out to the garage.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Wow my 92' dodge had cruise control. First I have heard of a base not having cruise control. Didn't know it was an option. Typical GM trying to save money. Sorry to say but, your best bet is to sell it and buy an LS if your stuck on the 7th gen impala. Get rid of it before the problems cause major damage and the car ends up worth nothing. Otherwise go with a honda, toyota, subaru, etc. I'd hate to turn you away from impala's as I love them but, they have way more problems than it's worth. If your not decently mechanical inclined an Impala esp 7th gen is NOT for you.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Wow my 92' dodge had cruise control. First I have heard of a base not having cruise control. Didn't know it was an option. Typical GM trying to save money. Sorry to say but, your best bet is to sell it and buy an LS if your stuck on the 7th gen impala. Get rid of it before the problems cause major damage and the car ends up worth nothing. Otherwise go with a honda, toyota, subaru, etc. I'd hate to turn you away from impala's as I love them but, they have way more problems than it's worth. If your not decently mechanical inclined an Impala esp 7th gen is NOT for you.
yeah but it was designed with fleet use in mind. cop cars,taxi,rental etc.... you do not need cruise control or anything fancy.

with a cop car you need a lot of rear setting room for the cage & trunk space.
Taxi will use the same thing
rental is great for users as it has a shit load of trunk space and space for passengers.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
the base impala model is normally used as fleet.

fleet cars do not need it.
Fleet vehicles may include somethings such as A/C,power windows,power mirrors. this is so the USER does not damage these items
The power package in an impala was not an option. It was across all vehicles. This is likely the case moreso because an impala was their top flagship vehicle, not because they didn't want retards in taxis breaking crank handles.

To the OP! Yes, you can ad in these options. The stereo is plug and play, as are the steering wheel controls. You will need to go to a junkyard and get a steering wheel with the controls, remove your airbag and wheel, separate and then hook the bag into the new wheel. The wiring is all in the column for these options.

You will also need a multifunction switch that has the cruise option. (Also plug and play). After all is said and done, you MAY need to have the option enabled in your BCM. I say may because I don't know how its handled within the BCM.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
I had cruise in my 92 Base Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) and my 88 Chevy Nova! I thought Chevy was bad for not including automatic climate control in the 8th gen Impala SS and LTZ, now I hear this!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said in a previous post, the upgrades likely won't happen for a while, but it is good to know that it is possible and not overly difficult. As for the issues it has (intake gasket leak, exhaust leak, bad thermostat), I bought the car for a low enough price that it is worth putting some $ in. The issues should be taken care of sometime around the first of march. I love my car and have no plans of selling it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The power package in an impala was not an option. It was across all vehicles. This is likely the case moreso because an impala was their top flagship vehicle, not because they didn't want retards in taxis breaking crank handles.

To the OP! Yes, you can ad in these options. The stereo is plug and play, as are the steering wheel controls. You will need to go to a junkyard and get a steering wheel with the controls, remove your airbag and wheel, separate and then hook the bag into the new wheel. The wiring is all in the column for these options.

You will also need a multifunction switch that has the cruise option. (Also plug and play). After all is said and done, you MAY need to have the option enabled in your BCM. I say may because I don't know how its handled within the BCM.

Good luck!
Don't forget the CC module under the hood, along with the throttle linkeage.

Like I said in a previous post, the upgrades likely won't happen for a while, but it is good to know that it is possible and not overly difficult. As for the issues it has (intake gasket leak, exhaust leak, bad thermostat), I bought the car for a low enough price that it is worth putting some $ in. The issues should be taken care of sometime around the first of march. I love my car and have no plans of selling it.
Those issues are surprisingly easy to repair, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yikes! Thanks king.. I knew there was something I was missing... It's easy to forget something when typing long posts on my phone.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I love my car and have no plans of selling it.
As long as you love your car, know how to work on it (lim, etc), and got it for a good price then, there's nothing to worry about. I am in this same boat with you :eek:k3:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont know how to work on it... but my dad does haha. I always help with whatever I can, but if I tried to do any major repair, either it wouldnt run at all, or it would only go in reverse. I have learned how to change the oil, do the brakes, etc.. minor stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
See this thread is kind of old, but I've always wondered about adding cruise. I bough a 04 base model in 04 from the dealer new and mine doesn't have cruise. So the wiring is there already? Id just need to grab the wheel, turn signal stalk and the cruise module and linkage under the hood? There's a lot o these at the bone yard now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts