Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new here so hopefully this is the right area to post this question. The categories are a bit overwhelming haha.

I just purchased a used 2016 Impala 2LT but the one feature it didnt have on it was remote start. The car was too good to pass up so I bit the bullet by compromising on the car without the remote start. However I hear it's somewhat simple to add? I could use some help...

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-p...tcGFsYSZ5PTIwMTYmdD1sdCZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZmxleA==

I found the above kit online. If I purchase that keyfob, what else exactly is needed for remote start? (I'm assuming the dealer would have to do something? How much $ is this approximately?)

I'm not concerned about using the Onstar App, but I just want to be able to remote start the car with the keyfob and be able to unlock it with the keyfob while the remote start is running the car. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
62 Posts
In march I purchased a 2014 LS that didn't have remote start installed at the factory but for the hell of it I tried the remote to see if it had it and it did LOL, the used car dealer didn't even know it had it. I had zero luck with onstar showing it and a few phone calls etc, I gave up on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's cool, but my remote doesnt have the remote start function on it. So I'm wondering if I buy this keyfob, what else may be required to make it all work (I'm assuming the dealer would have to program it..) Anything else required?

·
Registered
62 Posts
In your link it says "For the Remote Start system to be compatible with the OnStar RemoteLink system, the vehicle must be equipped, from the GM factory, with the remote start feature." bummer!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your link it says "For the Remote Start system to be compatible with the OnStar RemoteLink system, the vehicle must be equipped, from the GM factory, with the remote start feature." bummer!
Yeah bummer! But that's OK. I just want the keyfob to work.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hehe, thanks for the link. Does this work on the 2016 Impala?

What is the requirement to make this work AFTER I buy the fob. What else needs to be done once I have the keyfob in hand?
Yes it will work with a 2016 Impala, see where it says "This part fits" at this link Remote Start | Genuine GM | 23114552 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

Not exactly sure what all is required but from what I've read it just sounds like they need to program the fob to your car and probably program the computer to enable remote start. Best to call the dealer and ask what all you need.

I have seen a couple people say they have called OnStar and somehow got them to add the remote start capability to work on the app even though their cars didn't come with it from the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it will work with a 2016 Impala, see where it says "This part fits" at this link Remote Start | Genuine GM | 23114552 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

Not exactly sure what all is required but from what I've read it just sounds like they need to program the fob to your car and probably program the computer to enable remote start. Best to call the dealer and ask what all you need.

I have seen a couple people say they have called OnStar and somehow got them to add the remote start capability to work on the app even though their cars didn't come with it from the factory.
Awesome, thanks! I'll call today and ask the question. If it all sounds simple, I'll be grabbing one of your keyfobs! Is your listing on Amazon for one Keyfob or two?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The key fob programming is easy. Make sure you buy the exact FCC Id. I believe the manual might even say how to program. Mine I had to put in the ignition, so before I had all mine cut, I removed the pin and used the blade from the original to program all of them. It took like 5 minutes tops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait, so I could technically buy the keyfob and never have to go to the dealer? Could I put my original cut key into the new keyfob and then "learn" it by going through the ignition learning ritual?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Id say its possible but only a chance. Does your FOB have 4 buttons? Id try the lock then hold the arrow if so. To answer your question, that's what I did with programming.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I'll call today and ask the question. If it all sounds simple, I'll be grabbing one of your keyfobs! Is your listing on Amazon for one Keyfob or two?
:lol: That isn't my listing, just one from Amazon I saw in a link in the other thread about this same question.
I saw in the comments someone said it was for 2 but I would be very shocked if it was. I would assume it is just 1.

Here is what it says in my 2015 manual starting on page 2-5

Programming with a Recognized
Transmitter (Key Vehicles Only)
To program a new key:
1. Insert the original, already
programmed key in the ignition
and turn to the key to the ON/
RUN position.
2. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and
remove the key.
3. Insert the new key to be
programmed and turn it to the
ON/RUN position within
five seconds.
The security light will turn off
once the key has been
programmed.
4. Repeat Steps 1–3 if additional
keys are to be programmed.
If a key is lost or damaged, see your
dealer to have a new key made.

Programming without a Recognized Transmitter (Key Vehicles Only)
U.S. owners are permitted to program a new key to their vehicle when a recognized key is not available.
Canadian regulations require that Canadian owners see their dealer for programming new keys when a recognized key is not available.
If there are no currently recognized keys available, follow this procedure to program the 1st key. This procedure will take approximately
30 minutes to complete for the first key. The vehicle must be off and all of the keys you wish to program must be with you.
1. Insert the new vehicle key into the ignition.
2. Turn to ON/RUN. The security light will come on.
3. Wait 10 minutes until the security light turns off.
4. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
5. Repeat Steps 2–4 two more times. After the third time, turn to ON/RUN; the key is learned and all previously known keys will no longer work with the vehicle.
Remaining keys can be learned by following the procedure in “Programming with a Recognized Key.”

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, I bought a pair of new in the package OEM GM keyfobs from someone on eBay for $155. I could have gone with the cheaper ones on eBay but I'm not sure if they're real OEM keys or not. The dealer said I can buy the keyfobs for them to program only if it's OEM so... that's what I did. I'll head to the dealer in the next week or so when the keyfobs get here and update the thread for historical purposes just in case anyone else is interested

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do LT models not have the push to start or is everyone just talking about older model key programing? NO key hole on my car ignition.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nope the LT models do not come with push to start and I do not believe it can be added by any package, at least not the 2015 models anyways.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nope the LT models do not come with push to start and I do not believe it can be added by any package, at least not the 2015 models anyways.
I have a 2015 2LT with push to start. It was part of LT Navigation Package $795.00 on my window sticker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts