Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was following a thread over on another message board about adding the LTZ LED DRL’s to my 2LT as I thought it was dumb that GM did notoffer them as standard on the 2LT trim level. A few guys had local dealerships install them at a cost of close to $900 I thought there has to be a cheaper wayand a Plug and play option.

I contacted a guy who makes a lot of kit’s for the 2010-15Camaros and I asked him to look into this and see if it was possible. A few weeks later a box arrived on my doorstep with a test kit after a quick 60 minute install (really 35-40 but I took lots of photos for the Install guide). I havea full working plug and play kit on my 2014 2LT Impala.

The kit included the following.

GM OEM LED DRL’s

GM OEM DRL cover plates

GM LTZ DRL modified wiring harness to work on the LS &LT cars

Mounting hardware.

You can purchase the kit as a whole or just purchase the wiring harness. You also have two options for the DRL’s to work

1. Work just like OEM the LED’s are bright during the day, and dim at night (because the head lights are on)

Or

2. LED’s bright all the time day and night.

The GM LED DRL Lights run $200 EA from the dealership another $80 for the wiring harness, and like $50 for each of the trim panel plates, and mounting hardware in all about $580 then you have to pay the dealership a few hundred dollars to install it as they would need to tap into thefuse box and wiring harness. Or you can purchase the kit complete plug and play no splicing nothing the kit runs $528 complete or $70 for the wiring harness and you purchase the other parts.

I do not work for this company I just wanted to let you guys know a plug and play kit exists for those of us who want to do the upgrade/conversion.

Anyway this is the web site for the kit if you wish to orderit www.gen5diy.com

Thanks

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea, that guy from gen5diy is amazing. Came up with a lot of upgrades/add ond for the 5th gen Camaro. Even figured out how to install the MyLink Radio in older gen 5 Camaro's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice! So someone effectively convert an 2LT to a 2 LTZ clone with the exception of the Navigation and Cooled seats right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! So someone effectively convert an 2LT to a 2 LTZ clone with the exception of the Navigation and Cooled seats right?

Not cloning the car just adding the LED DRL's (fogs are standard on 98% of 2LT trim levels of Chevy vehicles except for the Impala).

I felt the Impala looks much better with them.

My 2LT has Navigation, complete safety package, push button start, upgraded sound system, wheels, spoiler, keyless entry, ect.., I am just missing the ventilated seats, rear bumper with exhaust ports, and memory seating.

No I am thinking about adding the LTZ door molding but having them painted glossy black to match the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some install photos

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
is that a tap for power on the fuse box?
so there isn't any existing harness that fully plug-play?
do the DRL's still come on along with the led? (daytime)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is that a tap for power on the fuse box?
so there isn't any existing harness that fully plug-play?
do the DRL's still come on along with the led? (daytime)
Yes that gives it power, it's still all fully plug and play (pop open the fuse box and plug in the supplied fuse, close the box and you are done.

Yes and you have two options the LED's will dim at night as the LTZ does or you can have the DRL's be bright all day and night.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a very easy and strait forward install it can be done in under 1 hour and all you need is a 9/32 socket and an optional trim tool to remove the trim panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TimeLine75

If you install this DRL LED upgrade kit on a 2LT, do the existing DRLs, (Head Lights come on at a reduced brightness) continue to operate in addition to the new LED DRLs. ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes that gives it power, it's still all fully plug and play (pop open the fuse box and plug in the supplied fuse, close the box and you are done.

Yes and you have two options the LED's will dim at night as the LTZ does or you can have the DRL's be bright all day and night.
I was looking over instructions and it states on website you provided that if you don't want them to dim with headlights on, to skip that step into plugging in to fuse box, So question is, is there power available by fog lamps to just plug and not go through fuse box so they don't dim?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking over instructions and it states on website you provided that if you don't want them to dim with headlights on, to skip that step into plugging in to fuse box, So question is, is there power available by fog lamps to just plug and not go through fuse box so they don't dim?
I can double check that I tested the ones that dim I did not for the other.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello guys I'm having this same issues so if I don't want my dealership to install these led fog lights it could run me at least 900$ right? Also I paid for my extended fully bumper to bumper warranty if I did this installing my self would they then void my warranty for doing wiring myself and for tampering with the systems things in the car?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello guys I'm having this same issues so if I don't want my dealership to install these led fog lights it could run me at least 900$ right? Also I paid for my extended fully bumper to bumper warranty if I did this installing my self would they then void my warranty for doing wiring myself and for tampering with the systems things in the car?

No everything is GM from the DRL's to the wiring harness and it's ALL plug and play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use headlights as DRLs 2015 Impala LTZ

Just bought 2015 Impala LTZ. Would prefer both headlights and LEDs as DRLs. Will the aftermarket wiring harness mentioned in these threads perform that function?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just bought 2015 Impala LTZ. Would prefer both headlights and LEDs as DRLs. Will the aftermarket wiring harness mentioned in these threads perform that function?

It should mine are setup for both the headlights and LED DRL's to be on at the same time.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts