Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed factory foglights in my 06 impala ls, bought a new headlight switch to work off factory button..No factory wiring for any of it so made the harness. They work fine but was wondering if anyone knew how i could get indicator light on dash to work. Thanks

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Are you using a factory headlight switch or aftermarket switch?
If aftermarket you can get switchs that light up when on both toggle,pushbutton and rocker switch types. Last one I did was 5 years ago found lighted toggle at radio shack because it was closes and I could get it then but check the web there are lots of options out there.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
They want it to say fogs on the instrument cluster I think. I don't have fogs so I am unsure if it usually shows fogs on the cluster when they are engaged.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
little weird light shows up in upper right hand corner of cluster on my 2012 but the 2002 Regal only lite up the switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the factory headlight switch with the fog light button. I know it has a light on the cluster on the left hand side, i can see the picture but i know the computer controls it and because i have an ls wiring is not there from computer. I will have to hook up little light somewhere but just would have liked to have it work like factory.. someone told me all indicators on cluster run off one wire, so prolly different resistances. Just didntr know if anyone has tried to get it to work

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
somebody with a tech2 might be able to program it, not sure but no harm in asking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i got a buddy that works for chevy and he thinks i need to change the computer.. not worth that.. guess ill just add a little indicator somewhere..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats how i did it and most reliable.. I got the dei611t right on ebay for like 20 bucks.. If you add the headlight switch with foglights you have to add the wire to harness at pin 6.. works like a champ just trying to figure out the light on cluster still because of it would be nice to have an indicator but will update on that, I bought the front bumper, fog lights and surrounds, and 2 pigtails for the lights and just made the harness..

·
Registered
161 Posts
May I ask which one is pin 6? How do you determine which one is pin 6 on the harness?
On the back side of the plugin for the headlamp switch are numbers stamped into the plastic. There are 16 pins. The top row has a #1 on one end and #8 on the other. On the bottom row, there's a #9 on one end and #16 on the other. Those are your reference points and it's easy to figure out which pin is which.

1 ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° 8

9 ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° 16

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Im new to this forum. I went onto the BB engineering website and they said they are closed. Im trying to do exactly what you did to your Impala LS by wiring my aftermarket foglights to the stock OEM switch. How did you do it? Where can i order the parts? :hope:

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
If I understand it correctly, the only "parts" you need are the correct headlight switch (with the fog light switch in the middle) and the DEI-611T module, which you can still buy on Ebay... You already have what you need from BBE - which is the design they came up with and is shown in your attachment.

At least that is my understanding...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Didn't know there was something out there about this. Seems pretty simple. Might do this over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
so I just ordered the 611T and I already have the factory head/fog switch...

now I just need the rest of the stuff :gaah:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the relay that connected to the 611T via the yellow wire essential? Could I just connect that yellow wire directly to the fog lights?
No you could not mike because of a few reasons. One would be the amps that the lights draw. The 611T module may not be able to handle that much load. Secondly most likely the 611T module would be mounted in the interior of the car and the relay would be under the hood to get power directly from a high power (fused) source under the hood. What is not included in that diagram is wire size but if it were you would see the yellow wire does not have to be all that big (22-20 gauge) to trip the relay but the wires going to the power feed of the relay and down to the lights should be a good size to handle the amps. 14 to 16 gauge would be good. And of course I am not sure in the yellow wire is fused. where as the feed to the relay should be fused in case of a short in the fog light harness (very possible in a front end crash)

·
Registered
2 Posts
so I just ordered the 611T and I already have the factory head/fog switch...

now I just need the rest of the stuff :gaah:
One thing not mentioned in the diagram is the terminal yo wold need to insert in the headlight plug. I am sure BBengeneer sourced those but not sure if they ever let anyone know what they were?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts