Impala Forums banner

Added 9.5qts oil to ss impala how bad??

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dfelt75 
#1 ·
I'm on a road trip and some how my oil pressure sensor disconnected. My son put 3.5 additional quarts of oil in the car in addition to the 6 it already has.. while I know this is too much how bad is this? Should I stop somewhere to have it drained ? I've got about 600 mile to make it home

#5 ·
The excess oil raises the level such that it can get splashed around by the crank. My understanding is that aerates the oil and can cause it to foam up with the result that it no longer lubricates satisfactorily (because the pump is pumping a mix of oil and air instead of only oil).

I'd get it serviced right away.

Doug

#7 ·
Quick update... Drove about 100m with the extra oil before I could get the excess sucked out.
Mechanic in Spirt Lake ID didn't seem to think it was a big deal..he also plugged back in the oil pressure sensor and tested oil pressure and all was good. Interestingly enough the mechanic commented about how hard the dipstick is to read which I agree with

Anyway Drove 600m home later that day avg 75mph over 2 mt passes with no further issues. all's well that ends well I guess

#9 ·
mechanic commented about how hard the dipstick is to read which I agree with him!

I agree the dip stick on my 2014 Impala is challenging compared too anything else, why so many dots and divots? Just have Full-OK-ADD levels like everyone else?
Also my LTZ after 2500 miles the oil is black as tar on a 6 Qt. system... My P-71 Crown Vic after 3K looked like new, after 6K you could still see through it just fine!
Still 3.5 quart overfill should not happen...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.