Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the 3 outlets on the 06 impala have electricity running through them when vehicle is shut off?

Reason is I am getting a dashcam and it has the motion feature where it will record when something moves, but it would need a source of electricity when vehicle is off.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm unsure of this, but I do know how to easily test. Get a cell phone charger and plug it in with the key off and see if it still charges.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Just wondering if the 3 outlets on the 06 impala have electricity running through them when vehicle is shut off?

Reason is I am getting a dashcam and it has the motion feature where it will record when something moves, but it would need a source of electricity when vehicle is off.
7th gen has power when the car is off
At lest my does.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
7th gen has power when the car is off
At lest my does.
He has an 8th gen :eek:k3:

Not true anyways.

7th gen: Has power to rear lighter (technically just a 12v socket as a lighter socket has a ceramic interior) at all times but, front (lighter) socket ONLY has power with the key on ACC or ON.

Edit: Like I said: I don't know much about 8th gens but, do know that what I posted is the easiest and cheapest way to get a clean install. I don't know about you but, I don't like cords hanging all over the place in my car. Something you should consider when dumping money into a "dashcam" anyways.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
All the 7th and 8th gens we have keep power with the key off.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Hmm wonder why GM did this? My front (cig) socket does NOT have power with the key off.

It must be an LS thing :giggle::Jka:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has an 8th gen :eek:k3:

Not true anyways.

7th gen: Has power to rear lighter (technically just a 12v socket as a lighter socket has a ceramic interior) at all times but, front (lighter) socket ONLY has power with the key on ACC or ON.

Edit: Like I said: I don't know much about 8th gens but, do know that what I posted is the easiest and cheapest way to get a clean install. I don't know about you but, I don't like cords hanging all over the place in my car. Something you should consider when dumping money into a "dashcam" anyways.
thanks for those links, great idea. I'm gonna look into it more.
I plugged in my cell phone charger and the red light did indeed light up, I just don't know if the Impala has some power saving feature where it turns off everything after 10minutes or so.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
thanks for those links, great idea. I'm gonna look into it more.
I plugged in my cell phone charger and the red light did indeed light up, I just don't know if the Impala has some power saving feature where it turns off everything after 10minutes or so.
No such power saving feature that I know of but, why would you want a dashcam running when car is off, unless parked for sometime in a "rough" area? That dashcam has a "motion sensor" and will start recording when it sense motion so, as long as it's hooked to constant power it should work out just fine. Once again I suggest using my method I posted as it will supply a constant voltage/power for SURE. Just find the right fuse (security or on mine power mirror's) that has power all the time. This method will also give a CLEAN install and reduce wire clutter and therefor, hopefully help fool suspecting people.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
What if they steal your dash cam, honestly not being a smartA$$, but it looks kinda expensive if a thief sees it...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
What if they steal your dash cam, honestly not being a smartA$$, but it looks kinda expensive if a thief sees it...
My motto: If a thief want's it, nothing is going to stop the thief (besides extreme and costly measures). Dash cams are NOT intended to use for protection against thieves! They are intended to prove an accident or "lack there of" road signs. If you want protection from a thief, use an electronic shocking device (007 type stuff) or place a "hidden camera" on the exterior of the car. Thieves don't tend to look anywhere else but, the things they are looking to steal.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I know, I was just thinking, what if they spotted it. It does look expensive and easy to pawn ya know, not only is your stereo, any money tools, phone, Ipod etc... but your dash cam too. Then your out even more money. I do like the idea of it, and I am considering it now if I can think of a good place to hide it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Hmm I might be mistaken then. My bad guys. I haven't used the front socket in some time as I use my method of the fuse tap and female adapter. If I am charging my cell phone I use the rear socket.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts