Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to hardwire a thinkware u1000 dashcam in my LTZ , it appears I might be able to connect to the wiring under this cover. I've tried prying all around this plastic cover and don't see how it attaches. Anyone know how to remove this cover?
Car Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ which had a very similar ceiling mount fixture (other than it had a built-in eyeglass holder also). When delivered, the eyeglass holder was defective and the dealer ordered a new part (whole assembly - not just the eyeglass holder).

The dealer replaced the part under warranty and inadvertently left the old part on the RF seat. Before I left, I returned it to the service advisor. I looked at the part before I gave it to him.

The rear of the assembly had a variety of metal spring-type push in clamps that snapped into holes in the headliner / ceiling. There were no screws or permanent fasteners. I was sure it simply pulled out of the ceiling, and the wiring connectors removed to be transferred to the new assembly.

If you have tried to pull the fixture down, it may just have strong spring-clamps, which are difficult to remove (and make you feel as though you will break something). Perhaps you could get your fingers from both hands under the edge closest to the windshield and pull firmly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ which had a very similar ceiling mount fixture (other than it had a built-in eyeglass holder also). When delivered, the eyeglass holder was defective and the dealer ordered a new part (whole assembly - not just the eyeglass holder).

The dealer replaced the part under warranty and inadvertently left the old part on the RF seat. Before I left, I returned it to the service advisor. I looked at the part before I gave it to him.

The rear of the assembly had a variety of metal spring-type push in clamps that snapped into holes in the headliner / ceiling. There were no screws or permanent fasteners. I was sure it simply pulled out of the ceiling, and the wiring connectors removed to be transferred to the new assembly.

If you have tried to pull the fixture down, it may just have strong spring-clamps, which are difficult to remove (and make you feel as though you will break something). Perhaps you could get your fingers from both hands under the edge closest to the windshield and pull firmly?
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

You are right friend!! Thanks for getting me on the right track.

·
Registered
2000 Chevrolet Impala model 1WF55
72 Posts
View attachment 165375
You are right friend!! Thanks for getting me on the right track.
A picture is worth a thousand words (although the lack of one wouldn't keep me from trying to explain a thing in less then a thousand).

Two thoughts.

1) There are pry tools[1,2] available made to pull out panels and some may be used to detach fasteners before the pull. Using the leverage of a tool might be a more controlled, gentle way to disassemble then with fingertips.

2) If a panel doesn't come off and I don't know what kind of clip (fastener) it is, I will sometimes open the panel a crack and look for a release mechanism that actuates with either a squeeze or a poke. A flashlight helps. 2a) Unless I see a fastener head, I always assume it is some type of integral clip as shown in the picture.

[1] Plastic Pry tool, Amazon
[2] Plastic pry tool, Harbor Freight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts