Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a week ago it blew cold air now today it didn’t, no matter what temp it was set at.

Any ideas what I need to check or reset?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for cabin air filters have a slight musty smell every now and then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Pete, I personally just use the least expensive pollen filter available at Rockauto online and change it out annually, but they're available with activated charcoal and Arm & Hammer baking soda. May check to see if the a/c compressor is engaging, blend door actuators working and hi/lo a/c pressures.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Any clicking/thumping in the dash? Are all hvac settings working properly? Would need a set of a/c manifold gauges to read the hi/lo pressures.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sounds perfect n dash. Controls work fine. Just not really cold air coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Usually use the fram filters from walmart for cabin air, when they have them in stock.

Kick the ac on like sheila mentioned and be sure the compressor engages. Being you had cold air last week, would guess it is probably not low on refrigerant, but still possible it might be. Should be an ac fuse somewhere, probably under the hood, would check and be sure it is not blown.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK taking three hour trip and it’s 64° out temperature set at 70 on auto.. Seems like the air conditioner is running on at least medium trying to keep it cold. Air is t supper cold, haven’t checked compressor

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s really weird how its acting all of a sudden it was blowing super cold. Like the door switched and let all the cold in. anyone know how to recalibrate that door blender on a newer impala? Possibly that is getting stuck?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What year? Engine? On my '12/'13/'16 Limited you can pull the red 10amp "Display" fuse underhood to reset the mode (vent) actuator. Others say to remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How would I know if the ac compressor kicks in? Today it ran for an hour not getting cold then randomly it got cold made a stop turned car off then back on and it wasn’t cold again. I am at a loss on what’s going on? When it did kick in it was really cold!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same car not sure it seems to be something with these cars sometimes mine is really cold other times it’s not cold at all! Has anyone else ever reached inside their bumper when washing the car? I’m not sure where the air comes into the car but I know mine had handfuls of dirt and rocks and other things piled up inside of the bumper there was white flies and everything from the dirt. Also I read you can buy some kind of cleaner foam for the ac coolers because supposedly if you don’t have a certain mode turned on your car the blower mode which dealership asked to do it bacteria grows on the coils from running the air conditioner so then when you turn it on again it blows stinky smells through the car. Mine stinks like sour stinky gym socks, it’s so nasty! What blower mode does is 15 minutes or so after you turn the car off if you leave the AC on when you turn the car off it automatically turns air on and runs it through the vents I guess to dry off the coils but like I said the dealership had to turn it on for me and I’m not sure if it’s turned on in your car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just did a little service on the car tonight to try and get things in order. Drained and put in new transmission fluid and tried the blender reset. Had the negative off for about 5-10 minutes then put back on. Just pressed the start button let sit for a minute, then turned on for 5 minute idle. When it was idling it blew antifreeze out, i paniced and shut off. Turned car back on let idle for a few and it blew again. 3rd time it worked just fine no issues. So I did press the A/C button and could hear the compressor start then i had cold air.

Other thing I did was change out the cabin filter it had some twigs and seemed dirty hopefully it will help with some of my musty smell.

We will see what tomorrow brings!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck with yours, mine did it last summer with the sometimes cold and other times not, I just hope it doesn’t do it again it’s so random but that’s been the way the car has been ever since I bought it, plus I get horrible gas mileage only 14 mpg in town 😞

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want more info on the blower mode I can look it up in my papers because when they turned it on at the dealership they gave me a sheet on it for the information so just let me know

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have it that would be great! The air in my seat coming out is cooler than the air coming out of vents set on low. This sucks and it’s not even warm out yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok just had a guy smoking walk by car and ac was on and I could smell the smoke in the car!!! Shouldn’t the car be sealed with ac on?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok just had a guy smoking walk by car and ac was on and I could smell the smoke in the car!!! Shouldn’t the car be sealed with ac on?

Only if you have it set to recirculate inside air. Not sure about the controls on yours.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts