Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for our 2007 Impala with a 3.9L V6 with 118k miles.

When pushing the AC button, the light flashes and then goes out. This happens with the fan set to any speed and the air out on any setting. I dicovered this while at work, so I don't have access to my gauges. I didn't see any blown fuses or disconnecter wires. The manual says there's a DIC warning "Service AC Soon" but that hasn't come up.

So could it just be low on 134 or am I looking at a new compressor?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't know about what happens when low on R134 - but the flashing light thing was what mine was doing, finding that the compressor had shelled out. IIRC, it was around 105K miles.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Could just be a low charge, definitely worth checking.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
This is for our 2007 Impala with a 3.9L V6 with 118k miles.

When pushing the AC button, the light flashes and then goes out. This happens with the fan set to any speed and the air out on any setting.
What vent was it set on? As I recall, there are a couple vent settings where the compressor won't come on.

Doug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys...
Well, it wasn't charge and it wasn't broken parts. That's the good news...

When I was trying to get to the valve nearly under the air cleaner to check the pressure, I found the wires to the sensor were cut. Not 100% certain that they were deliberately or accidentally cut but it was a nice clean cut of three wires. The car was at the dealer just a few days ago to have the LIM gasket replaced, so it may have happened then. (an interesting aside, "my" tech walked out of the dealership on Friday, just packed his stuff and left). Anyhow the cut was less than an inch away from a big harness intersection and of course these wires came out on the back side. It wasn't then easiest fix, but it wasn't the most difficult either. I ended up adding a short length of wire to reduce the stress on the wire, GM like to make the wires "just long enough." Soldered the connections because there's no need for them to come apart again. Now the AC works just fine.

I love those $0.05 fixes!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,

That was one of my initial suspicions too. I tried them all. The OM says the AC should come on in any vent setting as long as the fan is on.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I would let the dealer know about this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I left a message on the Service Rep's phone and sent them an "e-mail" via their web site. I really doubt that I will hear anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the folks at the dealership have contacted me, twice.

Both times it was a salesman responding to me submitting a "Contact Us" form. Neither of them actually read my comments on that form. They both said that they would pass my concerns on to the propper people at the dealership and have them get back to me.

It would be funny if it didn't show just how inept this dealership is and I still didn't love my Chevys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2010 Impala. It is weird though. My AC will work fine most of the time but sometimes when I park at a store or at work and it sits for a few hours in the hot Texas sun, when I first get in and start it up it will usually work for the first couple minutes or so then the AC light will start flashing and it will stop blowing cold air. Today my drivers side acuator started clicking so I know I have to replace it, but it has not previously clicked. After about 10 minutes or so it will kick on and blow nice and cold with no problems. It seems to be charged properly according to the guages. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar issue only my ac comes on randomly. Do you think that it could be a similar problem or is it that my compressor is about to give out?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had this problem also. I figured it was doing this because the temp outside was below a certain spot since it worked fine when it had warmed up a bit but if it was below 40 it seemed as though the AC light would flash. I thought nothing of it since I got the car during the winter and have not had a need for the AC. I guess I should keep my eye on it once it starts getting warm out. It would really suck not having AC when it's hot outside.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Today while driving home I got in my car and noticed the temp was around 38F. I figured I would try to turn the AC on and it turned on just fine.
As I was driving home I noticed the warning popup on the DIC saying Ice possible. At that point in time the temp the car was reading was below 35F. To test a theory I tried to turn the AC on and this time the AC flashed instead of turning on.

I think there is a limit for external temperature for when you can and cannot turn the AC on.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
It states this in the owners manual:

"(Air Conditioning): Press to turn the air conditioning system on or off. An indicator light comes on to show that it is on. The air conditioning can be selected in any mode as long as the fan is on and the outside temperature is above freezing. A flashing indicator light indicates that the air conditioning compressor is currently not available."

So I think the owners manual backs up your "theory". :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
It states this in the owners manual:

"(Air Conditioning): Press to turn the air conditioning system on or off. An indicator light comes on to show that it is on. The air conditioning can be selected in any mode as long as the fan is on and the outside temperature is above freezing. A flashing indicator light indicates that the air conditioning compressor is currently not available."

So I think the owners manual backs up your "theory". :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I figured it said that somewhere I just lack the motivation to look. I also have no need for the AC since it's been cold so there has literally been no need to look. But thanks for confirming my theory!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone have this issue after installing a new battery? Mine just did it yesterday when I swapped my battery to a new Interstate.. Gonna hook up the scanner later and see if I can get a reading off of the ambient air sensor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
im still studying this flashing problem,

i think has to do with high limit switch, head pressure getting to high, i.e. aux fan not turning on

i could be wrong. but i ran into this problem, an then it just started working like normal once i got near the end of my commute
:dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sigh... I wish it was a sensor as I had hoped.. the battery install was just coincidental; apparently a pothole or parking block I chafed on caused the radiator support mount to puncture the condenser! Any threads on how to replace these? Are they relatively easy on a 3.9 Non police car? obviously doesn't need to be evacuated since there's no fre-on in it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts