Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have 93 chevy caprice my ac work fine last year went to try it today didnt work so poped hood and checked it out pushed in connectors jiggeled wires it kicked in once and not again is it possible the diode is bad how can i check and where do i get a new one

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Before assuming that the clutch is out have the freon pressure checked. If the pressure is to low then there is a low pressure switch that will not let the compressor operate.

Also check for voltage at the connector. If no voltage at the connector for the compressor then that is a sure sign that the freon level is to low or out. If there is voltage then the clutch is gone.

If indeed the clutch is out I would recommend changing the whole compressor instead of only the clutch. I have seen where the compressor did not last long after a clutch replacement due to its age.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a pair of relays on the passenger side of the firewall. One of them is for the fuel pump and the other one is for the AC. It is not an expensive or difficult part to replace. An easy way to test it is to swap the two, if the car starts normally and the AC still doesn't work then the relay is good.

I will second the low pressure switch. often sitting for a period of time will cause seals to shrink and a leak to start. Have it checked out by a reputable AC shop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you might have a leak and the freon is out. i would go to parts place and get a can of r134a freon and hook it up to the low side. there shoulod be about 2 lbs of freon in the system. add alittle to your system if the a/c clutch clicks on there a leak and need to replace something. most are the compressor. i am a A/c tech for cars so i know these things. just ask for more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts