Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the rotors and pads a few weeks back. Everything was good for a week then the ABS light came on. I'm having trouble finding a code reader that will read these brake codes so I was going to bring it in to a Midas shop tomorrow. They initially said $40 just to read the codes and probably more like $60 to find exactly what is wrong. They said the wheel bearing assembly is likely the cause, they do a bunch of them. So I was looking up parts and see that they list a wheel speed sensor for our cars that costs under $10. Then they list the hub assembly that costs $80-$120 depending on the brand. So why do they seem to want to do the whole assembly? Does the sensor come out by itself or is it require a ton of disassembly of the hub? Another tire store (Les Schwab) said $75 to diagnose and that likely the bearing assembly was bad and it's $215 for the part and $75 install! I don't mind paying somebody fair labor rates but what's with the 100% markup on the parts? Has anybody else had this problem and gotten by with just a $10 speed sensor and 15 Min's install? At these prices I could replace all 4 for less then just the diagnostics!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK after looking at compnine.com's diagrams it looks like the sensor is not a separate part. So how hard is it to replace the hub assembly? Just pull the rotor like I did on the brakes, then just 4 bolts into the knuckle and the spindle nut, disconnect the wire. Am I missing anything? Hate to spend $300 when I could do it for $100.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Do a search... theres is a RECENT thread that will answer your question... in short, you may not need the $120 part, but a replacement pig-tail connector ($11).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do a search... theres is a RECENT thread that will answer your question... in short, you may not need the $120 part, but a replacement pig-tail connector ($11).
also if the pig tail connector is not the problem, you might as well go to the dealer because I would think they would be charging the same price as the quotes your getting

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'm gonna do the $40-$60 and then either ignore it until the actual bearing starts to fail, or just do the hub myself for $100. I checked the wiring and it sure looks good. Somebody else just got their hub fixed under warranty at the dealer and they said it would have been $700 there! According to my fine print on the 100,000 mile powertrain the hub is NOT covered. There is a way to use a multimeter and check the pin voltage from each sensor spinning the wheels up on jacks, which checks the wire and the sensor all at once. Then check it again at the wheel disconnect to check just the wire. I just don't know the pin layout for my car and I don't have a very good multimeter anymore.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it is a short in the left rear but its before the plug to the hub. That's good but I need to follow that back. Its possible I might have hit that wire under the tunnel when I screwed down the center console. At least all the hubs are good and they only charged me $39 to track it that far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts