Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here and I have a quick question I have a 2011 impala I recently had issues which I thought was the transmission took it to the shop it came back that it was the gas pedal. Well I went to back up out the drive way and when I went forward I got a werid rubbing/scraping sound with my ABS and Stablitrak light on it also felt like it lost a little momentum but when I kept going down the road the noise stops and the lights went right off and it drove fine. I tested it out again today same thing but it doesn’t do it every time it’s like I can feel the noise under me if that makes any sense. Just need help to see if anybody had the same issue.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Hi, new here and I have a quick question I have a 2011 impala I recently had issues which I thought was the transmission took it to the shop it came back that it was the gas pedal. Well I went to back up out the drive way and when I went forward I got a werid rubbing/scraping sound with my ABS and Stablitrak light on it also felt like it lost a little momentum but when I kept going down the road the noise stops and the lights went right off and it drove fine. I tested it out again today same thing but it doesn’t do it every time it’s like I can feel the noise under me if that makes any sense. Just need help to see if anybody had the same issue.
The scraping sound is either the ABS or traction control firing. They both make loud noises when they come on. The computer thinks a front wheel is either locked or spinning.

There are 2 wires in a harness coming from each of the front wheel speed sensors. The wires get flexed a bunch with the suspension travel of the car. The result is that the wires get damaged which impacts the signals on them. The damaged wires cause the signal to be lost or become static-y. In one case, the ABS kicks in; in the other, the traction control fires.

Checking for codes may reveal which wheel is causing it. Else, someone needs to jack up the car, remove the front wheels, disconnect the wires from the wheel speed sensors, and remove the wires from the looms to inspect, looking for a damaged spot(s).

Replacement wires can be purchased for ~20 bucks or so at parts stores. They need to be soldered to ensure a durable repair.

I'm guessing a good shop can diagnose and repair this for $100 - guessing. More if they find damage on both sides.

This is a common issue on 2000-2013 Impalas and 2014-2016 Limited Impalas. Simply turning the steering can cause the symptoms sometimes, so it's often noticed when parking the car or turning a corner.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ve been researching it a lot at first I thought wheel bearing but then I seen the wires might be the issue.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Thanks I’ve been researching it a lot at first I thought wheel bearing but then I seen the wires might be the issue.
I think the key there is that, if it were a wheel bearing, the noise would be continuous (when moving) and not come and go.

Good luck getting it resolved.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I turn the abs and traction off will I hear the noise? So I can test and see if it is ineed that? Can’t get it looked at until Monday. Also am I safe to drive?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If I turn the abs and traction off will I hear the noise? So I can test and see if it is ineed that? Can’t get it looked at until Monday. Also am I safe to drive?
You can turn off traction control. That will eliminate the scratchy, grinding noise. You cannot turn off ABS, as far as I know. It makes more of a machine gun or burring sound.

You're probably OK to drive, but you might try to minimize it.

With the traction control off, you don't need to worry about it firing. When it engages, it applies the brakes on one side, which can affect steering.

When the ABS fires, it affects braking by partially releasing the brakes on the wheel it thinks is locked. But I'm not sure if that presents a hazard.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much Doug sorry to keep bothering you!! Lol but I did go ahead and turn traction control off and I didn’t hear the noise while driving around the block. You’d given great advice thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I noticed when I drove with traction off I didn’t get and lights for ABS or the service Stablitrak thoughts? I promise I will stop bothering you 😅

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Also I noticed when I drove with traction off I didn’t get and lights for ABS or the service Stablitrak thoughts? I promise I will stop bothering you 😅
I'm not sure. I would think, if the computer sees a signal that looks like a locked wheel coming from the wheel speed sensor , it will still apply the ABS, even if traction control is turned off. And the ABS light will come on when that occurs.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts