Impala Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Actually, it was a little difficult. I took a tool box, and put it between the brake pedal and the front of the seat, then moved the seat all the way forward so that the tool box is held up and holding the brake pedal down. Then shift into reverse, and snap the pics :eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Lol sounds like a stunt I pulled a while back to show my tails

No way is this plate designed for plate lights! The lights are pointed straight back and the actual plate frame is likely going to block the light from even reaching the plate. Def designed as reverse lights if you ask me. Unique item for sure and I have never seen one before

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Lol sounds like a stunt I pulled a while back to show my tails

No way is this plate designed for plate lights! The lights are pointed straight back and the actual plate frame is likely going to block the light from even reaching the plate. Def designed as reverse lights if you ask me. Unique item for sure and I have never seen one before
They're absolutely meant to be reverse lights.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
I'm guessing it had to be a second person, since the brake lights are on...

I would be a little concerned that others may not realize that you were in reverse though - most would probably assume that it was just a very bright license-plate light and not a reverse light, due to the location of the lights... Although, I guess it's really not that big of a deal for the brief time that you are in reverse.

What about inspection (if you have inspections where you are) - think it would pass?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've thought about the other people not realizing bit, but some of the bimmers and Audis have incredible small reverse lights from the factory, so I'm not too worried about it. In terms of inspections, it might or might not pass. It mostly depends on who's doing the inspection and how specific the letter of the law is. The good thing is, this mod is easily reversible in 10 minutes to go do an inspection, and then put back in another 10 mins, at least in the manner I did it.I made sure everything had a harness, so I could just pop it in and out. I also made sure to preserve the factory reverse light wiring, just left it unplugged.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
If this is good enough for BMW to pass regulations, then the plate frame lights are good enough for me :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Agreed!! That plate light is way brighter than most stock reverse lights. Modifying the stock reverse lights might be illegal but, really do u think an officer/inspection is gonna care seeing as how they are brighter? I doubt it

Still a good idea to keep the stock harness and everything in tact as you did just in case. All great tips RYD! Can't wait to do this mod myself that is if I can get a set of tails in decent shape and on the cheap. I will be hitting up plenty of yards this coming spring/summer for various parts.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Can't wait to see how yours come out :beer:

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
It's not the size or brightness of the lights - it's the location of them - most folks just wouldn't expect to see (or look for) reverse lights on the sides of your license-plate, so I doubt that they would realize that your were in reverse. I'm would think (but don't know for sure) that state inspection laws require the reverse lights to be contained somewhere within the tail light enclosure.

Anyway, I don't mean to take away from the nice work you've done - just thinking about potential "side effects", that's all. Since you can easily re-connect the stock reverse lights for inspection, that would solve that issue too...

Anyway - nice work, @RYD!

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
What about the corvettes then?

Add that to the fact that they turn on/off when I shift into/out of reverse should be more than enough to warn anybody that I'm coming. As far as I'm concerned, if they didn't notice it, that's their own damn fault for not paying attention.

/rant

·
Registered
519 Posts
You're good... DOT regulations usually state that you must have stop, tail, turn, license, reverse lights, and red reflectors (if lenses aren't reflective then separate reflectors needed) on the rear.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
All of which are covered. Thanks for the clarification rippir :beer:

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The laws are going to vary from state to state, but I looked up the PA laws and they are MUCH "looser" than I expected for reverse lights! Basically, they just state that if your car has them, they must work and that they automatically go out when you are moving forward!

So, yeah, as @rippir stated, I don't think that you have anything to worry about... :)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Was looking over everything once again and noticed you had used vinyl for the lens. Did you put vinyl on the whole lens or just cover up the reverse section of the lens's? Also what vinyl did you use?

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
So, I actually used the vinyl in conjunction with the 3m lens repair kit. Its a small (3"x6") sheet of thick red plastic with a very sticky backing. I cut out the appropriate size and stuck it to the inside of the lense on the reverse light section. This allowed all the light shining through to be red, but still left the appearance of the white circle from the outside. So I used some cheap eBay vinyl just to even out the color and make the entire lenses appear red in the daylight. I covered the whole lenses with it, not just the reverse portion.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Oh I see. That makes sense. I was a bit curious as to how the white reverse lens would look after doing this mod. Once again thanks for sharing man

141 - 157 of 157 Posts