Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone, i just had a few questions here...

Well im about to get a 2000 impala with a 3.4L base model 71,668 miles for 4700
(5300 after all the taxes, inspection, registration, etc). Im and 18 year old guy and the car islight driftwood with light oak interior.. honest opinion i heard from a lot of my friends said its an old person car but is it a fun to drive car? I'm coming from 2 years of driving a 95 jeep cherokee how does the ride compare? anything i should look out for when buying this car?

Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The engine has an issue of the manifold gaskets leaking. Not a hard job to redo. Overall the car is dependable and fun to drive. It is not as powerful as the 3.8 or the SS, wich for you will make getting insurance easier and cheaper. The ride will be softer then the Jeep.

When you do replace the UIM/LIM gaskets use a metal type set such as from FelPro. Search the threads here for there are several dealing with the UIM/LIMs.

Get a CarFax report to be sure that you know about all of the cars history.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just noticed the carfax ( given with the cars listing from carfax.com directly) the Intake manifold and gasket were replaced in october of 2004, do I still have to worry about those leaks you stated? also, will the 3.4 have decent power for the size of the car, or am i gonna be slugging along (i doub t that, just a question)

thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The car will have decent power.

A friend of mine has a 98 Olds Cutlas witht the 3.4, the dealer replaced the gaskets in 2001, she had them replaced again in the summer of 2006, and I just replaced them a couple of months ago. If the dealer did not use the Metal gaskets (which I doubt that they would) then yes you will have to have this done again.

There is much debate regarding the DexCool, many including I, do not like the stuff. The DexCool destroys the gaskets and may even corrode the aluminum parts as well.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
if you can change your oil, you can prob change the intake gaskets, its fairly easy. I know on the 3800, there are revised (alum.) ones, not sure if the same applies for the 3400

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 2000 base 3.4 and i have changed the intake gaskets twice. with a little help, i changed my gaskets without having to pay some shop a rediculous price. if i can do it, anyone can.

about the speed, its powerful enough for a car that size. mine doesnt have the power i wish it did but its not bad. its coasts pretty well too.

one other problem to watch out for is the trans. a friend of mine ended up trading his because of trans problems and now mine is starting to go out. mine has quite a few more miles than yours at 130K but its still something to think about. i know as far as trans my car has not had proper maintenance. i bought it from my dad and i know more about cars than he does. i would just be sure that routine maintenance has been done.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah routine maintenance had always been done, even the carfax has it down to every 3000 or so miles with all the details, and it was owned by an old person (the only owner) it does look and seem to be an old person, should i be embarrassed to be a guy and driving a tan on tan basically, impala? im not i personally like the car, but to others would it seem weird?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
There are many tan on tan Impalas. There is nothing to be ashamed of with the colors of the car.

The question now is are you comfortable with your desision to buy this car? Will it serve your needs for a few years? Also have you had a personal mechanic check the car over for you? A good mechanic can let you know if there are any that needs attention soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i really like the car, its clean and a huge step in class from the 95 cherokee. i have 60 days after the purchase to bring it back (less than 3000 miles). right next door to my job (literally the same building, next garage door) is a mechanic, im going to ask him to put it up on the lift and check the car out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
steveo make sure before you buy the car that the dealer greases the drive shaft, theres a issue with some clunking sound so make sure the dealer greases the drive shaft i had mine greased on my 05 impala i think if you take it to GM its $70 (cdn) + tax but make sure they do that!

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Welcome time traveller!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
We have a couple 7th gens with the 3.4 running dexcool at over 250k miles, no issues. There really isn't anything wrong with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts