Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Ted Doherty and I am on SSI which means I don't have very much money, I bought a 2010 Chevy Impala it has a key to start it but it won't open the door, so if the battery is dead I can't get in the car. I was at a salvage yard the other day and was able to get a ignition cylinder and a door cylinder both with the same key from a 2009 Impala. When got home I took out the cylinder from my ignition and swapper the guts in the proper order. So my question is, can I reprogram the key to my car, it turns but won't start the car. Please get back to me as soon as you possibly can. Thanks In Advance!!!
Ted Dohery
323-251-9435
[email protected]

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ted:
You've got your Beer Wagon out front of the Clydesdales.
The FOB needs to be matched with BOTH the Car and Key.

Refer to the October / Consumer Reports ... Pg. 64

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Font Car Electric blue

·
Registered
363 Posts
I’m sure my limited does not have a programmable key. If I were to change lick cylinders and ignition assm I don’t think that would affect how the fob works. I believe the fob matches the bcm not keys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello my name is Ted Doherty and I am on SSI which means I don't have very much money, I bought a 2010 Chevy Impala it has a key to start it but it won't open the door, so if the battery is dead I can't get in the car. I was at a salvage yard the other day and was able to get a ignition cylinder and a door cylinder both with the same key from a 2009 Impala. When got home I took out the cylinder from my ignition and swapper the guts in the proper order. So my question is, can I reprogram the key to my car, it turns but won't start the car. Please get back to me as soon as you possibly can. Thanks In Advance!!!
Ted Dohery
323-251-9435
[email protected]
Yes you can pro
Ted Dohery
323-251-9435
[email protected]
so yes…you can get the new key programmed to the car(it has a chip in it that communicates with the car’s ecu)however it requires special tools(a programmer)that most locksmiths would/should have. However if I were in your shoes I would have put the car back to the way it was and take the original door lock to the locksmith and have them rekey it to the key you already have.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can program you new key to the car's ECU I believe. Try this process:

1. Insert the new key in ignition and turn key to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.
2. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.
3. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.
4. Turn key OFF then back ON. The key is now programmed. Start vehicle to test key.

Do not attempt to start the car between any of the steps. I just had to do this on a suburban, but it worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts