Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with driving in rain or bad weather? Also what have you guys done with your air pumps? I dont have headers yet so i was going to wait till i got them to remove it since you need a tune to shut off the air pump. Does anyone know what size breather i need to attach directly to the air pump? Thanks.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I had it (won it at silent auction at the first West Coast Gathering in Vegas) and it worked well. In very windy,dusty areas it does collect debri but it easily wiped out/off. I drilled 2 very small holes in areas at the lower corners just in case and moisture built up which it never did. It is important to clean the M.A.F sensor every couple weeks.

As for the air pump, I did a factory update to delete it legally and added the Legal delete/update factory sticker to the radiator support shroud so the emissions guys can see it. That took away any need to have a breather for the air pump since the air pump was no longer bolted on.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As far as the filter for the air pump, just pull the hose and measure the inner diameter. I don't know the size, but the K&N cold air intake does come with a smaller filter for the air pump that slips inside the hose. On the K&N, there's a small hole in the cold air box for the filter. I don't know if you'd want to drill a hole in the RAISS though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So do i put the breather right on the end of the air pump or on the end of the hose? Also can i start the car just to see what it sounds like now with the air pump hose just hangin there with no breather?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Without having looked at an air pump in a bunch of years, I'm going to go ahead and guess that you'd pretty much HAVE to put it in the hose. Otherwise, where's it going to go? In other words, use the hose as a coupler and make it whatever length you want to put that little filter someplace that makes sense.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips fellas, Yes an outerwear is a must i ran them on my atvs and they make a huge difference especially in the dirt, as far as cleaning the maf every few weeks hopefully the pre filter lower that to every few months. How do u clean the maf? Thanks again, Ill call around for the breather tomorrow, now its on to the exhaust, proper rear end gasket, and checking out the ball joint tourqe since im having some front end noises and play.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm going to take a guess that the MAF cleaner is NOT the same stuff as throttle body cleaner...?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Correct, the TB cleaner is very harsh and cannot be trusted to be used on the MAF, however, the MAF cleaner can work for both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
what is this air pump and stuff your talking about, wut does it do, im still learning about my car, is this hose ur talking about fit to teh factory air box?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just got done putting in my intake, and the air pump hose i just ended up sticking it in my intake tube that came with my kit becuz it actually had a hole already drilled out so thats where it went, check it out at my cardomain page at 94roadyLT1, all for 80 bux

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The air pump is located on the drivers side lower
front of the engine. It pumps air into the exhaust
manifolds at start up. See those metal tubes running
into the top of the exhaust manifolds? That's for
the air pump.

It has a hose that runs into the factory air intake to get
clean filtered air from.

When you delete the factory intake garbage, you need
to cut the hose on the air box shorter, and install a little
K&N style filter, or better yet, delete the whole thing altogether.
This is, of course, if you don't live in California, or someplace
where you will need to pass a smog inspection, particularly
a visual inspection.

HTH.

:biggrin: In California, We can help with that problem:biggrin:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was looking into those on Ebay

I was looking into those on Ebay. Does it move around when you drive or is it on pretty tight? Are you going to make some kind of heat sheild? I heard that aluminum attracts heat and you get more cold air with plastic. Have you noticed a difference, besides the sound? Nice job btw and sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The GM TSB for the air pump covers only the DISABLING of the pump not the REMOVAL. Yes, it is non-functional, but if an emission inspector wants to press the point then you are not legal if you removed it and its plumbing. In OH, they never looked under my hood so its not an issue. [I'm even running an OBD-1 conversion and still passed.] YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts