Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what else to say here. My A/C worked great for the last few years. I have not needed it until recently. I turned it on the other day and it just wont work. The System has pressure when the car is running (actually it said it was a little high when I checked it with a guage at the port, which is odd since I have not added any R134 since we bought the car 3 years ago) but the compressor will not run. I know there is a relay for the A/C. Is there a way to test this, with out throwing parts at the car?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
47 views and no ideas? Bummer. Summer is getting here quick in CA. The manager at Autozone said there was a filter in the system that gets clogged up. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
47 views and no ideas? Bummer. Summer is getting here quick in CA. The manager at Autozone said there was a filter in the system that gets clogged up. Has anyone heard of this?
There is a filter drier and also an orifice tube if the compressor is running those would be the problem.

·
Registered
823 Posts
If the compressor is not running check the electrical connection at the compressor. If it looks fine and you wanna test if its the relay or not short the two connections on the compressor side with a paper clip. This should engage the clutch full time. if this works you need a relay for the AC clutch.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the compressor is not running check the electrical connection at the compressor. If it looks fine and you wanna test if its the relay or not short the two connections on the compressor side with a paper clip. This should engage the clutch full time. if this works you need a relay for the AC clutch.
Right on. Thanks!

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a filter drier and also an orifice tube if the compressor is running those would be the problem.
Thanks. The compressor wont run. I am gonna try Carter's idea.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the Relay and jumped the Compressor at the fuse block in the engine bay. It kicks on with no issue when I do this. Swapped the Relay for a known workig one and the A/C still would not turn on. Not the Relay or the Compressor. HVAC Fuse is good as well. What should I check next? (This is the first working A/C I have ever had... well working until recently. I seriously appreciate any help, since it tends to get around 110*-120* F during the summer in my area).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds like a bad pressure switch on the drier.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a bad pressure switch on the drier.
That is what I was thinking too. I am curious why it worked up until I had my pcm swapped. Could the new (factory) tune have set the pressure lower and that be causing the non function? If it is the switch, do I have to empty the system to change it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
you swapped your PCM....in my 2000 Imp LS i thought that my compressor went out, took it to the dealership and paid like 150 bucks for the simplest sh*t. they said my A/C just needed to be reset. bet thats whats wrong with yours. new PCM means that your A/C needs to be reset/set to it.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you swapped your PCM....in my 2000 Imp LS i thought that my compressor went out, took it to the dealership and paid like 150 bucks for the simplest sh*t. they said my A/C just needed to be reset. bet thats whats wrong with yours. new PCM means that your A/C needs to be reset/set to it.
How do you do that?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beats me :/ lol. take it to a regular car shop or dealer. i think you need the lil computer or whatnot. i didnt actually watch them reset it. when i took my car in i had a lil more work done to it than just the compressor so i didnt stick around.

How to Reset an Air Compressor | eHow.com <-------try this out. this may be how they did it and why they charged me so much >.<
Thanks, but I think that is in reference to a shop compressor, not the one for the A/C. I am leaning towards the pressure switch. I just need to know if I have to evacuate the system first. Anyone know?

·
Registered
195 Posts
lol. the funny thing is is that i knew that it was the wrong compressor >.< just wasnt thinkin about it. little to hasty :D

but when my A/C went out it wouldnt hold a charge at all. then i got it reset and it held a charge for a few days. enjoyed cool air for a while then it all went away again.....next problem i had was a leak :( resetting is still an option as well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Technically, yes. You would need to evac the system before changing the switch.

To reset things, you could try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. Very cheap, and easy.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Technically, yes. You would need to evac the system before changing the switch.

To reset things, you could try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. Very cheap, and easy.
Battery unhooked doesnt do it. I have had the thing unplugged for a couple of hours recently while doing some other work and no change to the A/C. So is the Pressure switch the one on the side of the Drier with the 2 prongs, like a wall plug?

·
Registered
195 Posts
just to throw it out there :
i see you stated that the compressor runs when hooked up directly to the fuse line, well, my compressor runs at all times but i wasnt gettin any cool air. so i went to the junk yard and pulled a 2000 gran prix air compressor yesterday (25 bucks. yay me :D ) and installed it this mornin. a/c works like a charm now. just throwin it out there.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. I am getting cool air when it runs though. There is still plenty of R134 in the lines too, according to the pressure gauge I used.

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Need a wiring diagram for your car but I believe most of these AC sensors run in-line of the relay. Since jumping the relay will kick the compressor on try this: override the relay and then unplug the sensor on the drier. I believe you will find that the compressor shuts down at that point and restarts when you plug the wires back onto the sensor. If so then your problem is back at the relay and may be PCM tune related. In the AC relay check for power on Pin 86 (to a ground point on the frame, battery or engine bolt) with the key on. If so then check for ground on Pin 85 with the key on and the positive probe in Pin 86. If no ground on Pin 85 then you have a problem between it and the PCM or the PCM itself.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts