Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew why our 08' Impala does this. I noticed it today while leaving the gym. I tried turning on the A/C because it was a little stuffy in the car. I wanted to cool down a little from my workout. When I press the A/C button to turn it on it just blinks a few times then turns off. On our previous LTZ I do recall my son saying that it would sometimes to the same thing. I haven't had a chance to look in the manual to see if it talks about it. Just thought I would post the question here. Does it have to be a certain temp before it'll allow you to turn on the A/C? I'm hot natured and often turn on the A/C.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Might not have enough refrigerate

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might not have enough refrigerate
Think so? I bought it Friday and drove it 90 miles home with the A/C on. Got too cold at times and had to turn it down. I'm leaving work shortly. the temp has risen since lunch. I'll see if it's still doing it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Did you have a message on the DIC when it happened? Often people will get "engine hot AC off", the engine doesn't have to actually be hot, the temp sensor screws with it. It could also be a low charge...

·
Registered
158 Posts
As an absolute worst-case example, this is exactly what mine was doing. Found that the compressor had shelled out... :-(

At any rate, suggest there is a problem detected with the A/C - be it something relatively minor such as low refrigerant, and on up from there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What was the ambient temperature when you asked it to turn on? Mine did the same when I requested it instead of the rear defrost, perhaps coincidence.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There wasn't any messages on the DIC and the temp was mild. Sightly cool outside but since the car had been parked at the gym on a sunny day it was a little stuffy indoors. Like I said before I'm hot natured and after working out I like to let the cool air from the A/C blowing on me to help cool off.
But when I got in it after work the A/C worked fine. No issues at. Once again I had to turn it down because it got too cold. Weird.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Gharden, please let me know if the concern persists for you! I'm always happy to check my resources on your behalf for any helpful information, and I'm reachable via private message.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Your ambient temp sensor is probably crapping out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What is the temp outside? For me I noticed when it's cold outside the A/C wont kick it and blinks at me. If the outside temp sensor thinks its too hot outside the heater would also turn off on me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a/c/worked fine until i tried the ambient temp reset. Holding down the a/c and recirc at the same time. now warning comes on info center saying ICE MAY BE PRESENT. DRIVE WITH CARE. I live in phoenix! starting working again till i went through a car wash. Then same warning came back on but a little while down the road a/c starting working again. any Suggestions on how to reverse this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had this too. Simple thing to look at first! check to see where your air is flowing out. If you have it aimed at the windshield at all, the system will not allow the A/C to be turned on. Make sure it is either blowing at your feet or at your face. This is because the system will automatically change to circulation which pulls the air into the vents in the dash. If its pointing at the windshield than it can't pull the air back in. I got this from a buddy of mine that works at a GM dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts