Impala Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
So I was able to send back my morimoto 3.0 replacements and swap them for the GTR Ultra’s and I have no problems with them whatsoever so far. Only been a couple of days but they don’t flicker or turn off. Something must have changed with the new Morimotos but they don’t play nice with our cars anymore without that anti flicker harness.
Glad to hear you found a solution. I love my GTRs. Im disappointed about the 3.0s though. They looked promising.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So I was able to send back my morimoto 3.0 replacements and swap them for the GTR Ultra’s and I have no problems with them whatsoever so far. Only been a couple of days but they don’t flicker or turn off. Something must have changed with the new Morimotos but they don’t play nice with our cars anymore without that anti flicker harness.
Hmm not sure about other cars but the older Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0s needed anti flicker harnesses with my 15 Impala so nothing changed there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm not sure about other cars but the older Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0s needed anti flicker harnesses with my 15 Impala so nothing changed there.
Thats weird. My Morimoto 2.0’s worked great in my 2014 Impala LT for 2 1/2 years. Didn’t need an anti-flicker. What I noticed though, for about the last 3 or 4 months of its life, is that I’d see a very very faint pulsing with the right bulb, which is the one that ended up burning out. Maybe not using the anti-flicker is what burnt out the led diodes?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thats weird. My Morimoto 2.0’s worked great in my 2014 Impala LT for 2 1/2 years. Didn’t need an anti-flicker. What I noticed though, for about the last 3 or 4 months of its life, is that I’d see a very very faint pulsing with the right bulb, which is the one that ended up burning out. Maybe not using the anti-flicker is what burnt out the led diodes?
Nah, the drivers that come with the bulbs regulate the power going to the LEDs. It was most likely just a natural failure, or something may have gotten too hot. All electronics are fallable.

·
Registered
270 Posts
will these fit my 2016 lt with no problem?
They should, i think in 2016 GM changed the bulb size in the impalas. But as long as you buy the correct size bulb, they will fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally got around to putting in my GTR Ultra 2.0's with the anti-flicker harnesses (they shut off randomly w/o it). Not too satisfied with the setup though, how can I install them better? If I cut a hole in the extended dust cap, it would have to be big enough for the connector, leaving a big hole for dust/moisture.

Driver side has enough room to fit the full dust cap with everything inside but I'm worried about heat. Passenger side is much tighter and can't fit the fully extended cap, so the harness is sticking out.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Steering wheel

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Like was said before, it ain't gonna hurt anything to have the anti flicker harness in there.
Also, back in November last year you said the GTR bulbs didn't need the anti flicker harness, and now you said they do need them. Did you just not notice them acting weird back then? I am betting your Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0 were doing the same thing, you just never noticed it.
I didn't realize I needed the anti flicker in my Impala after installing the 2.0s until I pulled up at an Advance Auto and noticed only 1 headlight was shining on the wall during the day. At night they were fine, it was in the daytime when the headlights act as DRLs is when they acted stupid without the anti flicker harness. In the daytime it would be much harder to realize something was wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That’s exactly what it was. While functioning in DRL, the headlights would power on and shut off. It took me a few days to realize by noticing in a reflection of other cars.
I’m hoping I didn’t have that issue with my Morimotos since I haven’t noticed anything for 3 years, damn. Anyway, I guess I’ll keep the setup I have now with the way the anti flicker harnesses are tucked away. Thanks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts