Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here.
Where is the outside air temp senor located on a 9th gen. Impala, and how is it accessed without tearing apart the whole front of the car?
Mine is reading -40. Could that also be preventing the A/C from blowing real cold air?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hi, new member here.
Where is the outside air temp senor located on a 9th gen. Impala, and how is it accessed without tearing apart the whole front of the car?
Mine is reading -40. Could that also be preventing the A/C from blowing real cold air?
Thanks for any help!
I've heard of wonky ambient temp sensors causing what you describe. But I've not had to fix one. Yet.

The sensor is behind the front fascia, near the license plate frame, on the driver's side. I've attached a drawing.

You won't like the instructions: "Remove the front bumper fascia assembly."

That said, I would get the front end up and see about accessing the sensor from underneath. Maybe there's a way to drop the bottom trim and reach up to the sensor.

Also, try to locate the wires going to it. Maybe you have a damaged wire rather than a bad temp sensor.

HTH.
Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I was able to pull down the bottom of the front fascia where it attaches to the front sub frame to be able to reach up to where the ambient air sensor is located.

My sensor had a broken tab on it that holds it in place, so it had fallen down to where it was easy to get to. It also was not fully engaged into the wiring harness, which is probably why it was reading -40. After fully inserting the sensor into the harness, I started the car and the temp reading was now at 93, and dropped to 92 after a minute or two (it is real warm here today). The A/C also seemed to be blowing colder air.

So hopefully my problem is taken care of, and the sensor will now read correctly. I just left the sensor laying in the bottom of the front fascia since it will not stay in the bracket because of the broken tab.

Thanks again to plano-doug for supplying the diagram showing where the sensor is located!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had an issue with the 2000 Sensor. It was replaced professionally and broke again. The wires were not strain reliefed good enough and the sensor could move from side to side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts