Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, has anyone had an injector cleaner service done at a dealership? I don't drive this much (2014 Impala LTZ), has 65K mil. On my last service done at a dealership this was recommended. It was $150 then. Today it's $229.00. I've been doing some research and I see this Purple Power Fuel system cleaner is some pretty good stuff. Would this be comparable to the service done by a dealership? Any advice is much appreciated, Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hello, has anyone had an injector cleaner service done at a dealership? I don't drive this much (2014 Impala LTZ), has 65K mil. On my last service done at a dealership this was recommended. It was $150 then. Today it's $229.00. I've been doing some research and I see this Purple Power Fuel system cleaner is some pretty good stuff. Would this be comparable to the service done by a dealership? Any advice is much appreciated, Thank you

GM sells a fuel system / fuel injector cleaner that is manufacturered under license by Techron.

Techron sells the same fuel system cleaner in most auto parts stores. You add it to the fuel tank and fill up with gasoline, according to the label directions (two different size bottles, based upon fuel tank capacity).

I would suggest the Techron cleaner (or the GM cleaner which cost a little more), and not the Purple Power System.

Why did the dealer recommend this service? Many will recommend it so they make extra money for an unnecessary treatment. There is not maintenance recommendation in GM owner’s manual for routine dealer fuel injection cleaning service. Many don’t even use GM products, often using an aftermarket cleaner (BG Products). Ask them what product they use to clean the fuel injectors.

Some time ago, GM issued several TSB’s regarding erratic fuel gauge issues, caused by sulfur deposits on the fuel sending unit in the gas tank (my Corvette was included). Their recommendation was to use two treatments of the GM fuel system cleaner, added to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GM sells a fuel system / fuel injector cleaner that is manufacturered under license by Techron.

Techron sells the same fuel system cleaner in most auto parts stores. You add it to the fuel tank and fill up with gasoline, according to the label directions (two different size bottles, based upon fuel tank capacity).

I would suggest the Techron cleaner (or the GM cleaner which cost a little more), and not the Purple Power System.

Why did the dealer recommend this service? Many will recommend it so they make extra money for an unnecessary treatment. There is not maintenance recommendation in GM owner’s manual for routine dealer fuel injection cleaning service. Many don’t even use GM products, often using an aftermarket cleaner (BG Products). Ask them what product they use to clean the fuel injectors.

Some time ago, GM issued several TSB’s regarding erratic fuel gauge issues, caused by sulfur deposits on the fuel sending unit in the gas tank (my Corvette was included). Their recommendation was to use two treatments of the GM fuel system cleaner, added to the fuel tank.
1999 White C5 Coupe Thanks alot for your reply. Also heard that's really good as well. Just thought I would need something stronger since I believe you are correct BG 44k is the dealerships cleaning system and is a 2 part system.

I never even thought to look at the owners manual to see if it was a recommendation. It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly how the conversation went but it's possible I may have asked about the service to see if it could regain some power loss that I believe it has. I know the original owner (I'm the 2nd) and that QT is the main fuiling station used.

Sounds good I'll definitely try the Techron
(2 treatments) and or look into the GM Fuel system cleaner. With fuel prices the way they are just made me reconsider having this done.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
1999 White C5 Coupe Thanks alot for your reply. Also heard that's really good as well. Just thought I would need something stronger since I believe you are correct BG 44k is the dealerships cleaning system and is a 2 part system.

I never even thought to look at the owners manual to see if it was a recommendation. It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly how the conversation went but it's possible I may have asked about the service to see if it could regain some power loss that I believe it has. I know the original owner (I'm the 2nd) and that QT is the main fuiling station used.

Sounds good I'll definitely try the Techron
(2 treatments) and or look into the GM Fuel system cleaner. With fuel prices the way they are just made me reconsider having this done.

I use the Techron in my vehicles, and the vehicles of my family. If you check the online ads for some of the major auto parts stores, some often run a “buy one get one free” sale on the Techron. I buy them during the sale, to use in the future.

One of my vehicles is a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new.

Here is a link with photos on how to change your vehicle’s cabin HVAC air filter. It is very easy to do, and will save you some labor charge $ from the dealer: 2014 Impala cabin filter replacement

Good luck with your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts