Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help..Just replaced my front drop spindles with stock units.Car is sky high.
Now looking for the best riding front coil springs..My front springs are way to stiff. I am running bilstein shocks all around.
I dont remember the spring brand but they are definetly heavy duty.
Looking for a nice soft ride.
Any recomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks JT:yahoo:

·
Registered
997 Posts
I checked all the pictures last year, of the build on that Pontiac Chief. Very impressive. I'd love to do something similar to a 65 Rambler Marlin, if only I had the drive. Anyways.

The standard Springs from autozone, for a 92-96 Roadmaster sedan. The spring rates are a very slight touch stiffer than the stock Roadmaster FE1 springs, but they are not even close to the spring rate of the FE2 "HD" springs. Unfortunately, new soft "FE1" springs, won't sit a ton lower than the HD springs, as from the factory, the ride heights were not that different. Just the spring rates. The FE1 springs however, have a HUGE tendancy to sag.

Or, I can always get you a pair of stock FE1 Roadmaster springs from my 95 Red RMS. I want to get it on the road as my daily driver, but I can't stand the soft springs up front, or the fact that it sits at an impala SS height in the front. I already replaced the rears, and now it has a lot of "Rake".

Another option would be to have a custom set of springs made. Which would be quite a bit of $$$. Or, look through the moog catalog, and try to find something with a softer spring rate that would work.

The HD front springs were a 77 n/M or basically a 440# rate. The soft, FE1 springs were a 53 n/M, or rough estimate a 300# rate. So you can see the HD springs were about 45% stiffer than the soft springs.

First row of pictures is when I had first bought it. The other pictures are after I swapped the rear springs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information..building the Cheif was hard but very rewarding.Car is fun to drive and quite fast.Motor has been upgraded to 2002 Z-28 Ls1 with auto 4speed.
The ride is a bit harsh with the front springs and now it sits to high after the spindle swap.Roadmaster springs might be a good way to go..I was looking for caprice springs maybe from a 4.3 model as the rate might be nice and soft.The chief was more comfortable with the original front springs..The chassis was from a 96 9c1 police model.I think the springs were worn but dont know if they were Fe1 0r Fe2..etc
Anyway the Ls1 motor is much lighter than the Lt1 and my battery is in the trunk.
I will hunt for a set of new stock GM springs if I can find the Fe1 part #s.
Take care JT...55Lasombra

·
Registered
997 Posts
The 4.3 Civi Caprice Sedans would have also used an FE1 spring.. The 9C1 suspension RPO wasn't FE2, but the springs were extremely similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts