Impala Forums banner

96 ss shutting off

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dwayne J 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and have a question about a 96 impala ss I'm looking to purchase. I found a 96 impala ss with 121k miles on it, I went to test drive it and it drives just fine, however when I would be at a complete stop or just coasting in traffic it would kill. It started right back up but would do the same thing a few times until I brought it back to the guy. He said it needed a new distributor and that's why it was doing that. My question is is this possible? Would a bad distributor cause it to kill like it did? Had anyone ever had this problem? If so what was the diagnosis? I did also notice that the car had a new water pump and radiator. All info will be helpful!

#3 ·
The distributor cap and rotor are very often neglected on LT1s, cleaning the Idle Air Control valve would be warranted as well. Since it starts right back up seems like something a tuneup with cap and rotor would fix. If it needed some time before it would restart then Ignition Control Module becomes suspect.

#6 ·
Ignition Control modules can work fine cold, then when they overheat quit and begin working again when cool.
Sometimes EVAP issues present similarly if air is being allowed into the tank to replace burned fuel, but then simply loosening the gas cap will help the car restart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.