Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New member here. My brother is a member and has gotten some very useful info by being here so I thought I'd join and share my love for the Impala.

I do have an issue that my brother and I have not been able to troubleshoot.
Our Dad passed away in 2015 and we became the owners of his 1996 SS.
It hasn't come out of the garage much in the past few years because of Dad's declining health among other reasons.

The car has brakes but the pedal slowly goes to the floor upon braking. You can pump the brake and get it back but when you hold the pedal, it slowly goes to the floor. My brother has bled the lines but that hasn't solved the issue. Could the Master Cylinder or the ABS system have an issue? Any advice on what to do next?

Dad wanted us to drive it and enjoy it so as soon as we can get it fixed, thats what we plan to do. I figured there would be someone here that could help us. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!! Colleen aka ImpalaGal1969

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum..

Seeing that it sounds like you did the first area by bleeding the brakes it does sadly sound like a Issue with the master Cylinder, That is where the fluid comes under pressure to then go to the brakes... I would check that out and it could be there is a leak in the system however don't sound like that as you didn't say there was missing fluid after bleeding and topping it off...

Should take some pictures and post them..

James

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Agreed sounds like the Master Cylinder, cars that sit have issues when driven again.

Where in Wisconsin? If near Appleton I might be able to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.