Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
To do a full rebuild of the frictions and steels in the Eaton cost as much as the unit cost new.
The price of the rebuild kits has gone up. Still, the rebuild video that I saw was done on the car, so the cost of having the differential/ring/pinion set up is saved (which can be a lot of $$).

If doing it over I would consider a Torsen which uses gears to somehow accomplish a posi effect without clutches to wear out.
My favorite differential... been following that one for MANY yearrs. It was created in the 60's (50's?) and works on the idea that a screw type gear can turn a regular gear but not vice versa. [Look up Dual Drive Differential. The company and production rights have changed many hands over the years. My favorite factory installation was the in the Vector... sorry, rambling again...]
It splits torque up to 90%/10%. It works fantastic in some applications (road racing) and not as well in others (drag racing).

The lockers that fit an open diff put all the HP through the crosspin. Some have luck, others break the pin and split the whole axle case wide open and they will not handle as well as a posi.
Thanks for the additional info. I remember that it worked for some and was disastrous for others. I almost did it at one time, then came other priorities...

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
One of the quicker Impalas based in OH actually broke the pin and when it was hanging out of the carrier came around and split the cast iron differential housing. Now granted the car is a lot quicker than most but on the street traction can be intermittent and slip/grip/slip/grip can hammer on drivetrain parts harder than a hard drivetrain launch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am not sure if these year GM RWDs use the Borg Warner Australian 9 bolt with the "cone type"
limited slip rear. 82-92 Camaro and Firebird used these 9 bolts also.
IF it has G-80 in the RPO codes it IS a limited slip no matter if it is the Aussie unit
or a GM unit.
The new GM RWDs like the CTS-V/Caprice/SS use the BW Aussie unit and have a high
failure rate if "run hard".

Check out 9 bolt spare parts for australian rear posi cones 3 series carriers gear sets R&P 4.11 3.90 3.7 3.45 3.27 3.23 3.08 2.92 for Aussie rear info/pics/parts/hints.

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
The f-body uses a different rear suspension.
The b-bodies came with either 7.5" or 8.5" 10-bolts and the posi option as Auburn.

G80 is even the option code for the gov-loc POS in the trucks and no I did not forget the "I" at the end of POS. It is an awful design at least for on the street. If you have one tire on ice and one on dry pavement it about feels like you get rearended when the "governer" engages the second tire.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts