Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Proud new owner of a 96 impala SS only 35,000 on it. took it to a mech I trusted (past tense) and now after putting in new wp, opti (accel) wires plugs thermo and antifreeze he tols me the car wouldnt start when i went to pick it up, this is after he scratched the hood on an immaculate garage kept car. he checked the ign mod/ ign coil all were sparking, had fuel going in. car was running like a champ the other day he had it after the work was done, kept the car to fix scratch and now he says he doesnt know what it is. had the car two weeks now havent drove it ONCE! I ve wanted this car since i laid eyes on it in 92. please any all advice appreciated! he tried to say it may be the aftermarket accel opti but i think its BS. it did pour like hell today so i dont know if that is an issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Proud new owner of a 96 impala SS only 35,000 on it. took it to a mech I trusted (past tense) and now after putting in new wp, opti (accel) wires plugs thermo and antifreeze he tols me the car wouldnt start when i went to pick it up, this is after he scratched the hood on an immaculate garage kept car. he checked the ign mod/ ign coil all were sparking, had fuel going in. car was running like a champ the other day he had it after the work was done, kept the car to fix scratch and now he says he doesnt know what it is. had the car two weeks now havent drove it ONCE! I ve wanted this car since i laid eyes on it in 92. please any all advice appreciated! he tried to say it may be the aftermarket accel opti but i think its BS. it did pour like hell today so i dont know if that is an issue
Thank you, and thanks everyone, glad I found this forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I dont understand is how it was running like a champ after the work and the next day it wont start. I saw some water on the opti and pointed it out to the mechs employee and he told me "dont worry the new one has a good rubber seal", I wonder if he soaked the new one and ruined it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Book was the first thing i down loaded even before I had the car. Told me today he was gonna switch the opti to the old one to see if that worked. told me after market parts are "crap" compared to the gm stuff. But he left the car in the lot all day with the hood open in the sun and didnt touch it at all. very curious after i told him that they had gotten water on dist after they had installed it. i think he was trying to air out his error, and if that dont work say it was a defect and blame the part not himself. if he puts orginal in and it works i am gonna tell him to leave it in and get my car the hell away from him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You definetly will want to check change your optispark to a ac delco. Second check for a cel code, and if there is one post it and i can find the problem. Third, why would you need a new water pump, were you leaking antifreeze? It sounds like he was trying to burn you.

Last, there are alot of impalas and caprices out there that that when damp will not start. There has been no definete fix for this problem. Or even when it is real humid out side and the engine has moisture on it, will not start. My caprice has this problem, and i just dont drive it when it rains. I can get away with driving mine in the rain but if i were to hit even the smallest puddle my car would stall for about 45 minutes until the engine dries. If this is your problem, do not keep trying to repeadetly crank your engine over because you will run through batterys after a while of repeadetly doing this. Just wait about a hour and then try to crank your car. Then wait about 20 minutes and then try to crank it again. Back when i drove my car in the rain i went through about 4 batterys because every time it would rain my car would stall and i would try to start my car immediately and it would not start and i would repeatedly drain the battery needing a jump.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
You definetly will want to check change your optispark to a ac delco. Second check for a cel code, and if there is one post it and i can find the problem. Third, why would you need a new water pump, were you leaking antifreeze? It sounds like he was trying to burn you.

Last, there are alot of impalas and caprices out there that that when damp will not start. There has been no definete fix for this problem. Or even when it is real humid out side and the engine has moisture on it, will not start. My caprice has this problem, and i just dont drive it when it rains. I can get away with driving mine in the rain but if i were to hit even the smallest puddle my car would stall for about 45 minutes until the engine dries. If this is your problem, do not keep trying to repeadetly crank your engine over because you will run through batterys after a while of repeadetly doing this. Just wait about a hour and then try to crank your car. Then wait about 20 minutes and then try to crank it again. Back when i drove my car in the rain i went through about 4 batterys because every time it would rain my car would stall and i would try to start my car immediately and it would not start and i would repeatedly drain the battery needing a jump.

If anything the mechanic was trying to save him money, to replace an opti you have to remove the water pump, that car has low mileage which means it sat a very long time with the crappy dexcool coolant eating away at vital parts so replacing the water pump and coolant was a very smart move, not a shady move.

(BYB_CUZ) I only agree with you on one thing you have posted anywhere on this forum and that is your last post about using a genuine ACDelco optispark. As for the car not starting......check 2 things. The first thing is the optispark connector located on the passenger side. Sometimes this connector has gathered moisture (such as a low mileage car that is not run often and has time to gather more moisture than most others) and it turns green on the connectors.

Secondly, follow each and every wire and make sure the guy routed the wires correctly, the wires are a pain in the butt on our b bodies because of how they are routed and can very easily be crossed at more than one place. Any further problems or questions, feel free to call my shop and talk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anything the mechanic was trying to save him money, to replace an opti you have to remove the water pump, that car has low mileage which means it sat a very long time with the crappy dexcool coolant eating away at vital parts so replacing the water pump and coolant was a very smart move, not a shady move.

(BYB_CUZ) I only agree with you on one thing you have posted anywhere on this forum and that is your last post about using a genuine ACDelco optispark. As for the car not starting......check 2 things. The first thing is the optispark connector located on the passenger side. Sometimes this connector has gathered moisture (such as a low mileage car that is not run often and has time to gather more moisture than most others) and it turns green on the connectors.

Secondly, follow each and every wire and make sure the guy routed the wires correctly, the wires are a pain in the butt on our b bodies because of how they are routed and can very easily be crossed at more than one place. Any further problems or questions, feel free to call my shop and talk.
if it aint no cel i bet that he has a wet no start condition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts