Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do about everything to cars. I had never lifted an engine or drop a big transmission like the 4L60E on my 96 Impala. Here in virginia (Hampton Roads area) there are very few thrustworthy shops, if none. From the scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to drop the tranny on a 96 Impala for a converter replacement?

Please help!

·
Registered
574 Posts
1-10 ....using my shop lifts and tools, its about a 2. On the ground with a trans jack at best, maybe a 5 or 6
I have changed two transmissions in a garage and I swapped out my TC in my garage. It is not hard, it is a pain in the ass due to the limited room you have laying on your back on the floor. I just did a transmission last weekend and that is the last time I do it in a garage. I'm getting too old to be crawling around under a car, a lift is the way to go! But, if you have to, you can do it. A TC swap is not all that bad.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took the car to Cottmans transmissions. $2200.00 to rebuilt it. I'm not sure if it's too much money, but I do hope they really do what they say they would. It took two days to get my car back.

·
Banned
160 Posts
In case you still have time to rethink that decision there is a guy on this forum that builds performance transmissions and can probably do better than that both in price and quality. His name is Shane Cobb, his handle is Dustman, and I believe he's kind of a big deal.

www.cpt4l60-e.com

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Good luck with that Cottmans is the McDonalds of transmissions, and $2200 is well above the price you should have paid for their mediocre at best work.

I hope it works out for you but be prepared for it to all go south.

BAD trannies can sometimes work for a year before dying so you may not find out how bad they are right away.

Most reputable local shops can not handle this tranny well, they think it needs parts when it needs attention to detail. I made the mistake of using a local shop, lasted 16 months, most of that will less than half the power my car has on tap now. Current tranny is a www.pro-built.net. The local tranny cost me over $100 for ever month it worked, the ProBuilt has cost about $30 a month sofar and is still working fine so the long term cost keeps going down.

Not what you wanted to hear, but just keep it in mind, never spend another dime with them. If it blows during warranty maybe let them try and fix it butdon't pay, and if it lasts till after warranty go elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
People mistake it for 96Caprice "manager" instead of Medium Garnet Red and honestly I think it puts folks on the attack a bit ASSuming I am a jerk or something. Maybe without that strike against me from the start I can actually help some people.

I would change it on all the forums but then I hate when folks were always changing names and you had to figure out what everyone's name was this week :rolleyes:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts