Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my 96 Impala SS and there was a spot of oil on the garage floor. Put it on the lift and both front shocks are leaking. Car only has 23500 miles on it. What shocks do you guys use on your SS? Rears are not leaking!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Most people choose Bilsteins as a first option because of the big name....they do not last very long. We replace all with KYB or KYB sports and they last a long time and are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I currently run Bilstein Sports, part numbers 1104/0929 (front/rear, IIRC). A lot of people run these and like them very much. I like them but I'm also running Hotchkis springs. Makes for a firm but controlled ride. Never tried them with stock springs but that setup gets good reviews as well. I had HAL QA1s and liked them a lot, but they're very pricey and don't do well in cold weather. Within a couple of years I had 3 out of 4 with blown seals. People also recommend Monroe severe service, which are supposed to be less expensive than Bilsteins and warrantied for life, and Bilstein heavy duty, which are a little softer than the sports, from what I've read. No personal experience with either of those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts