Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 96 Impala SS I bought back in Feb. Its clean as a whistle and only has 80,000 Original Miles. It has the stock 3.08 Limited-slip rear end. When I take off even lightly from a Complete stop, it seems to make a "Clunk" sound. I recently changed out the Differential Fluid, (which was much needed). While I had the cover off, I couldn't find any obvious damage or wear. Ring and Pinion looked good, no excessive play anywhere. I checked all the Control Arm/ Trailing arms, all the Bushings, everything looked good and tight. It drives fine while on the road or Freeway. (No grinding/ whining sound at all) Can anyone please help me out on this?? Any info would be helpful. Thank You!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked them both when I did the inspection. No excessive play/ wear that I could tell. New ones probably wouldn't hurt, though.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
New ones will never last as long as the first so I wouldn't rush to do them if they seemed good.

How bad is it? I think there was some complaint about this being common and not necessarily an issue.

If you are in northeast Wisconsin I would gladly meet for a listen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm located in Michigan. Right now I'm just gonna stick to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I installed a Detroit Locker in my old '93 9C1 Police cruiser I had years ago. It was pretty noisy around corners, but didn't do the "Clunk" I'm experiencing. If this is common, I can learn to live with it because the Car is all around Awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: The “Clunk” has pretty much went away. The SS is now in it’s Winter Storage. Now showing 89,500 Miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts