Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my "check engine" light came on. i hooked it up to a code reader and it said "random cylinder misfire" or something similar to that. any ideas as to what may cause it? The spark plugs and distributor cap are new. the spark plug wires are about 8 months. plus, i have a bad oxygen sensor. can the sensor cause a misfire? or is it something else?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When you have RANDOM misfire, then the problem is something common to all cylinder.

Your coils are bad.
====
>>i have a bad oxygen sensor. can the sensor cause a misfire?

It is possible to have "lean misfire" but that is rare on fuel injected engines.

Good Luck...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0-2 sensor can cause a random miss-fire because its responsible for helping see that the car gets the right fuel and air ratio,so it if it mal-functions,it can cause random miss-fire,but i would re-check the gap in the plugs also,replace the sensor if its bad then clear the code off and see if you get any more codes on it,good luck.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
coils? 02 sensors? you guys are crazy and misleading this person. Thats what happens when dodge and ford guys get in here LOL. All kidding aside, when you start getting MRCM's its telling you the opti or something inside it has taken a dump. its not plugs or 02's.....not in the LT-1 b bods anyways.

Mark my words, you will need to go into the optispark.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Did you locktite the screw's that hold the rotor on, they have a bad habit of coming loose, have you checked the plug wires at the cap, they might also be loose, some wires can be a pain to get on tight, listen for that click. coilwire new? Pull it and look for corrosion down in the coil plug, hell check for any on all wires to the coil. What plug's did you put in? Ac's or Autolites work fine, anything else is a crap shoot. If the O2's were bad it would have more codes or a different code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Misfire Help

Im having the problem from below but hear is my twist on the story.

When I bought the car the guy I bought it from told me he removed the cats and put 02 simulators in. The died on me and ever since then ive been getting the check engine light with the code 160 (02 sensores) then a few months ago i got a random misfire I had the optispark changed and the wires and 2 weeks later I have the same codes 160 and now random misfire on cylinder 7... the mechanic has it today trying to figure it out, Im wondering what do I do about the 02 sensor not being in there since they dont make simulators anymore. Also will them not being in there cause the misfire?

coils? 02 sensors? you guys are crazy and misleading this person. Thats what happens when dodge and ford guys get in here LOL. All kidding aside, when you start getting MRCM's its telling you the opti or something inside it has taken a dump. its not plugs or 02's.....not in the LT-1 b bods anyways.

Mark my words, you will need to go into the optispark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Im having the problem from below but hear is my twist on the story.

When I bought the car the guy I bought it from told me he removed the cats and put 02 simulators in. The died on me and ever since then ive been getting the check engine light with the code 160 (02 sensores) then a few months ago i got a random misfire I had the optispark changed and the wires and 2 weeks later I have the same codes 160 and now random misfire on cylinder 7... the mechanic has it today trying to figure it out, Im wondering what do I do about the 02 sensor not being in there since they dont make simulators anymore. Also will them not being in there cause the misfire?
What did the mechanic find out? I have the same issue with #7 misfire on 95 LT1 in my Impala.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts