Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first post and all the feedback is greatly appreciated. The problem is when I put the car in 1st gear and go its very sluggish almost as if its starting out in 2nd. After that it rides fine. When I drop it down to low gear manually the initial go is alot better but I'll shift up once and nothing still rides out without a shift then I'll shift it up again and it catches. I bought the car with a bad transmission. I bought a used 4l60e put it in and now this is my problem? I was told it could be the ECU being that its a electric shift trans. Could that be a possibility? What should I do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may be wrong but...,

check your transmission vacuum lines. I may be thinking to old school for this car. I just got mine and have'nt had time to look mine over completely. I had an old olds b-body (1979 delta 88). It had similar probs and it was simply vacuum. These newer cars probably use a different set up but it's worth looking into before you spend more cash. :smile:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
um ive heard that the computer on the 96 is different from any other year i.e. 93-94-95 it might be a difference in the trans itself or maybe the electric code is wrong these 406l0e are shitty trans and anyone will tell u that if u bought a used one then who knows what hell the car b4 that went threw someone else will chime in peace:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
4L60E's have tin innards and are not generally know for being a super strong transmission as i know firsthand (that's what's in my truck). However, it could be as simple as a hydraulic leak causing a lack of sufficient pressure to stick into gear if it isn't going into gear. If it is going into gear you may have to take it a transmission shop to have it diagnosed. Lots of transmission shops offer free diagnostics and 1+ year warranties so that may be something to look at. I'd personally get a professional opinion because transmissions are extremely complex and can be very finicky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First thing you should do is have a reputable trans shop look at it. The symptoms you are describing could be anything from low trans fluid to something as benign as the motor needing a tune-up (to the untrained eye, engine problems such as failing optispark may seem like trans issues).

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin:its near the same transmission it just has overdrive :biggrin:

For some reason I always thought that the 4L60E was the crappy one, that what you want is the 700R4. Then I was talking to the tech guys at Summit and they said there's no difference, that they use 4L60's in racing engines all the time. They said that it all depends on how it's built.
Page 7A-1 of my 1992 Caprice Service Manual (the GM phonebook sized manual) says "The Hydra-Matic 4L60 transmission was formerly designated the THM 700-R4 transmission."
So now I'm not sure if the 4L60E is really "second best".
When you look at transmission rebuild kits, there's a huge difference in prices between the different kits, some cost many times what others do. That suggests that there's a big range in how robust the transmission can be made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
L460 shift problems

Hi, I have a 95 and I am going thru the same problem almost exactly. My first tranny would start in first, skip second and go to third and OD then after about a month of my mechanic scratching his head and looking the tranny burnt out. I don't have a lot of money to throw around so my mechanic ordered a tranny from a junk yard he deals with a great deal. It didn't work so we swapped it for another one and it worked for about 3 days then it started to miss 2nd again and within one week it burnt out. Did you find an answer to your problem? It may help me avoid throwing money in the wrong area.
I have been asking around and some people say solinoids, some say crank position sensor, and others say ECM (Main Computer). Any ideas?

Thank you

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
:biggrin:its near the same transmission it just has overdrive :biggrin:
They both do, it was more a name change than anything. The big thing to remember here is that in 96 they changed over to OBD2, very different computer system. So yes, there will be some differences. 700R4 and 4L60 are the same, 4L60E is different due to the electronic valve body controls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts