Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some epionons on some new front shocks for my 96 caprice, I origanally ordered it with the sports package. This is our family car and the problem I have always had with this car is when you hit a bump or small pot hole, it like the steering starts to float and you almost start to lose control of the vehicle. I am looking for some suggestions for some good shocks. I dont want any real stiff ones. My wife really loves this car and she does not want to lose the nice ride of the vehicle, but we need a little better handling when we hit unexpected bumps in the road. I had the originals and now I have sears best, but I have not liked ether one for the control issue.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
THERES like 40 threads on here for shocks i think most prefer kyb i think ..... i bought monroes for my fronts not to long ago and they stil "float" a little and there brand new !!!!! so .... but they were around the cheapest:biggrin::cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
To get meaningful info from the forums you need to invest enough time to figure out who gives good advise and who just gives advise.

Popularity of a product has almost nothing to do with quality or performance.

From the symtoms I would also have the front greasables looked at and strongly consider replacing the idler arm even if it looks OK. It is wear prone, most use the Moog replacement as it is a bit beefier.

For a reasonable priced nice handling shock I like the Monroe Severe Service shocks spec'd for a 9C1.

Consider some new bushings on the front swaybar too should tighten things up a bit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
^^^ i second the monroe SS shocks. I am currently running those up front and KYB in the back (Waiting for backs to wear out before I replace with Monroe SS) with lowered vogtland springs.
Also have monroe on my jeep cheerokee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts